Bottling a Lambic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacty

Reaction score
Guys, I have 6 gallons of Raspberry/Blueberry lambic that I want to bottle in wine bottles and cork them. I will be adding priming sugar and new yeast to the bottling bucket before I bottle. My questions is, if I use the cork wire containers that keep the cork tight in, will that be sufficient to keep the pressure in the bottle. does anyone see any other problems with doing this. I will be using synthetic corks not natural.
Thanks for your help!

You cant use plain wine bottles. They have to be champagne or belgium style bottles. They can with stand pressure and can be corked and cage. Usually you need special corks (they are bigger than regular corks). If you bottle in plain wine bottles, they will explode and no one wants that. The homebrew stores will help you in the right bottles and corks/cages

regular corks and cage will hold and you do not need synthetic corks. Many commercial examples of this.

Agree above, hate to see your awesome brew end up all over the place. Anything going in a regular wine bottle must be still.

Its a good excuse to drink champagne and belgian brews though. I have accumulated about 10 each as I can't stand paying for empty bottles. Sometimes necessary though. I have some test Belgians in heavy champagne bottles with plastic corks and hoods (no corker necessary). I suppose I should try one soon to see if they are holding pressure.

great thanks guys, I just went to the shop and picked up some champagne bottles corks and cages. Going to give it a run tonight. I am thinking about a carb volume of about 3.5. Do you think I should go higher, I want it pretty effervescence.

Back