How do I disconnect a whirlpool pump without spilling everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahoo

Reaction score
Recently got a march pump which I primarily use to whirlpool the worth while I run my immerssion chiller. I have cam-lock disconnects to hook the whole thing up, but how the heck do I disconnect everything when I am done without spilling wort all over my kitchen?

You can take a pot or pitcher and disconnect the line running into the whirlpool and empty into the pitcher. Then disconnect the line out of the kettle and hold it up to drain the rest of the liquid through the pump and into the pitcher.

Dirk

Smart. i will move the pump onto my counter to help with that. I had been disconnecting them at the pump first. I'd like to hear anyone else's process.

My pump output has a ball valve. I close that valve anytime I remove the loose end of the hose from the WP inlet, which has its own valve.

Here is my brewhouse in a whirlpool config. I whirlpool through my heat exchanger. The right pump is for mash recirc and HLT duties. The left pump is all wort handling.

Photo in next post...

ForumRunner_20120821_132659.jpg

ball valves on the hoses would work if you are looking for a slightly more sophisticated remedy

This is what I was going to suggest. I have the same problem in certain instance. My remedy for next brew is a ball valve that has disconnects on both sides so I can use it anywhere I need it at the time.

Recently got a march pump which I primarily use to whirlpool the worth while I run my immerssion chiller. I have cam-lock disconnects to hook the whole thing up, but how the heck do I disconnect everything when I am done without spilling wort all over my kitchen?

Reviving an old thread since I am in the same boat. Just built a new kettle with a RipTide pump, whirlpool arm, 3/4" OD silicone tubing, and camlocks everywhere.

I think I will just use pinching hose clamps where needed.

Bel-Art F18229-0000 Maxi Plastic Tubing Clamps; For Tubing Under ¾ in. O.D. (Pack of 6)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZTXOPAE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

71GHw18-3xL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The amazon reviews for those clamps are exceptional, thanks Mr. McGibblets. They look perfect for holding water in my siphon hose in order to start it.

Back