What is this on top of my Jolly Pumpkin dregs? Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pitched a 1.020 starter with some Bam Biere dregs and nothing happened for 2 weeks. I then tossed some sanitized oak chips in, and 5 days later I found this.

Looks like mold to me. It's weird because I have yet to have a krausen, I was all but ready to toss the dregs.

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

Look like mold to me too. Guess you will have to dump it and go get a second bottle of JP!

BW

looks like mold to me

Why would you add oak to a starter?

After reading that the bugs like to chew on oak, I was hoping it would get things going.

Anyway, I'm going to throw in the towel, I have 2 more bottles of JP. Part of my problem, I'm assuming is that I was so excited to drink it that I tossed it in the fridge, and drank only 4 hours later, so I'm assuming it didn't crash the dregs to the bottom of the bottle.

I don't know if they really chew on oak, rather harbor in it. I'm sure they eat some of it but they prefer dextrins.

Brettanomyces will consume the cellobiose created when the oak is toasted. They have can produce beta-glucosidase which liberates glucose from the cellobiose which is a disaccharide. So toasted oak cubes are a good thing to have in the cultures I would think. I have them in some of mine.

Back