Texas Brewer's: Erlenmeyer Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcactus

Reaction score
Supposedly you need a permit from the Department of Public Safety Narcotics Service to buy an Erlenmeyer Flask. Part of the permit includes signing a "Consent to Inspect" which gives my consent "to inspect the area of intended use". Does this really apply to home-brewers trying to make a starter or is there a loophole?

You know it is bad when you have to have a permit to just have a Flask.

Meth Labs have to be rampant out there. :|

This is part of living in the South. Everyone who lives here is running a meth lab out of their ramshackle RV.

This is part of the reason I have to show ID to buy Claritin.

LHBS in San Antonio actually got ratted out by a customer for selling flasks w/o a permit!!! What a d-bag. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his pubic hair and the bacteria of a thousand strains infect his wort :D

They keep them in the back of the store and only bring them out if you ask for them, but did not give a hard time about it. He did seem a little embarrassed that he had to sneak around. Like meth heads frequent homebrew suppliers...Really? I can buy them online all day, but your going to harass small business owners? All our neighbors already THINK we cook meth, now the popo have justification to search our houses.

God Bless Texas :drunk:

You know it is bad when you have to have a permit to just have a Flask.

Meth Labs have to be rampant out there. :|

I actually got a text from a buddy when burning pieces of the meth lab next door started landing in his yard...KA-BOOOOOOOM!!!!! :rockin:

Buy over the internet from any vendor who sells them. Homebrew stores, wine stores, science glassware stores, and even ebay. No one will ask you to sign a form. I believe I got mine from More Beer a few years ago.

I live in Texas and own several pieces of lab glassware. It's an ansine law, because a lot of Meth cookers don't waste their $$$ on lab glassware. They prefer the anything cheap they can buy at homedepot or lowes method. It's a stupid law so when in doubt order off the internet...

I'm sure this thread is dead by now but i thought i would ask a question in case someone is still out there... Are sellers required to report people that buy a flask to the Department of Public Safety? I received a flask from Amazon. They didn't ask for a permit and i don't have one. If they don't report it then i'm in the clear i guess. thanks.

Dion

I believe the law actually states only the seller needs a permit. Not the buyer. Got mine off Amazon too.

As I said in the other thread that the thread necromancer started, I'm pretty sure it's a largely unenforced law. Plenty of Texas-based homebrew shops sell them, and I've certainly never heard of homebrewers getting arrested over the issue or having to submit to searches.

I think they just have it on the books as an add-on charge for when they bust meth cooks.

I bought mine from AHS a couple years back. No questions asked other than "Cash or Card"

I broke it, and ordered another one off of Amazon. Never filled a form out or anything.

Guess I'm Breaking Bad (Badum Tsch!)

I am a bit curious what happens to those who brew outside and have neighbors call the cops thinking something illegal is going on, though I seriously doubt city/county cops even know of the law/rule. But what happens? A ticket, confiscation, jail with a charge?

And the way I read it is that they have the right, and ought to come out to your house to see what you are using it for. Seriously?

IANYL but I think that, as with mead, it's a case of having the common sense not to have an affair with the county prosecutor's wife or impregnate the sheriff's daughter without marrying her. It's the law but if you are't especially stupid or prone to other criminality odds are you won't ever have an issue.

Latest posts

Back