Stocking Up On Turkey Fryers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I stock up on Cheap Turkey Fryers?

• Yes, people will pay more than $37 on eBay next summer!

• Nah, nobody wants those things...

• I'm a Marxist; buying anything at Walmart is exploiting the workers!

• Ralph Nader says: "Turkey fryers are dangerous and should be outlawed!"

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evan!

Reaction score
My local WalMart currently has an excellent price ($37) on a turkey fryer set. Welded frame, excellent burner with windscreen and heat deflector, plus a dial thermometer and a 30-qt aluminum pot to boot. I've already bought 2 for myself...but I'm wondering if you guys think it's perhaps a good idea to stock up on a few more, then sell them on eBay after the holiday specials are gone.

Are you trying to go all-grain? Ralph Nader wouldn't approve of the 30-qt pot.

I got the same thing from target, and it was the same price. It had the burner, pot, and thermometer. I don't think you will be able to make a profit from selling them.

I saw a similar setup and price at the Depot also. So from the sounds of it, they are pretty much available everywhere.

Do you know how many IBUs on the burner? I'm looking for a burner, I don't need the pot but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra kicking around for heating water.

the_bird said:
Do you know how many IBUs on the burner? I'm looking for a burner, I don't need the pot but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra kicking around for heating water.

Funny, BTUs maybe?

Unless you're buying them at $20 or less, I doubt you'll make much profit on eBay. People go there for bargains, and $40+ isn't exactly that.

Bubble............burst!

Sorry, man.

When people buy ay prices above $40 for this it's an impulse buy at HD or Walmart. E-bay impulse buys usually involve items with free or low cost shipping.

Plus, with E-bay, someone actually has to be looking for that item and generally speaking they have a good idea of what they are looking for and what they intend to spend.

ETA: They might make good Christmas gifts though.

Yuri_Rage said:
Unless you're buying them at $20 or less, I doubt you'll make much profit on eBay. People go there for bargains, and $40+ isn't exactly that.

Bubble............burst!

Sorry, man.

Nah, no bubble here...I never was really hype on the idea personally, but when I mentioned that I found these cheaply (cheaper than I'd seen since I started brewing, at least), Cheesefood said I should stock up and resell. So I just wanted to make sure that Cheesy wasn't on to something.

todd_k said:
Are you trying to go all-grain? Ralph Nader wouldn't approve of the 30-qt pot.

I do partial-mash. Even if I weren't, 7.5 gallons isn't bad for brewing a 5-gallon batch. My main brewpot is 32-qt, and it's always been plenty big for my full partial-mash boils.

I'm pretty sure that you'll find, if you do go to all-grain, 7.5 gallons isn't big enough. I started running into issues with doing partial mashes with much more than eight pounds of grain because of the volume of sparge water I'd be dealing with, I just couldn't handle boiling it (which is why I'm going the converted-keg route, I was doing stovetop and crappy fryer). It should be fine if you're comfortable with partial mashes or low-gravity all-grain, but what I'm finding is that once I start doing partial mash, I want to go all the way and stop dropping so much coin on DME.

Evan - just FYI a very similar fryer setup was selling for $19 complete for several days last year at Menard's in the Midwest - THAT'S when I wish I had bought a few of them.....

Skol!

Evan! said:
Nah, no bubble here...I never was really hype on the idea personally, but when I mentioned that I found these cheaply (cheaper than I'd seen since I started brewing, at least), Cheesefood said I should stock up and resell. So I just wanted to make sure that Cheesy wasn't on to something.

As with all investment decisions, you have to accept the risks. They're a good price now and they may stay that price forever, or there could be a run on aluminum and they could end up being worth more. The turkey-fryer market is highly volatile. You can make millions or lose millions overnight.

Cheesefood said:
You can make millions or lose millions overnight.

Past performance is not an indicator of future performance. You may lose all of your initial investment.

Yeah I hear that Fuel Oil Investment commercial on the AM Squack box all the time.

olllllo said:
Past performance is not an indicator of future performance. You may lose all of your initial investment.

Yeah I hear that Fuel Oil Investment commercial on the AM Squack box all the tim.

You need to read my prospectus on turkey-fryer trading. If you want to make some guaranteed money, I'll e-mail you my penny stocks that are guaranteed* to be worth $2-$3 by Christmas!

*Guarantee does not guarantee that what I guaranteed will happen will actually happen.

Yes, they're cheap now because they're in demand - economies of scale. Only homebrewers and really fat people with dangerously high cholesterol buy a gadget in July capable of deep-frying a 23 pound bird. So they need to clear out inventory over the next three weeks.

In order to sell them in summer, they need to pay higher slotting fees to stores, since they know they're going to sit there for quite some time. Of course, they rebrand them for corn roasts and crawdad boils outside of T-day.

If you notice, Coolers aren't on sale right now, are they? How about Picnic baskets?

As turkey fryers (with at least a half decent BTU burner and a good sized pot to match) aren't available in the UK I'm gonna vote Marxist.
Unless Evan! can post worldwide and fancies losing big time on postage?...............

Okay, that's a no.:D

Back