First AG came out with strange green color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain this weekend and it came out with a very strange green color. It’s a pilsner and it had three different hops bags I used so I’m guessing one might have opened during the process but shouldn’t it have cleared or settle to the bottom after a day or two. The fermentation process is going great, my air lock is dancing like crazy but the beer itself looks like pea soup.

You're fine. Wait until you rack it out of primary and start cold conditioning it most of the "stuff" will settle out.
IME large volumes of liquid look a lot different (in clarity, color depth, etc) than they will in a smaller volume. It will look just like it's supposed to in the glass.

I’m sure you’re correct I was just surprised it looked that way and it hadn’t cleared at all yet. I normally don’t do a secondary but I’ll for sure do it on this one for sure.

Put it away until St. Patrick's Day.

It should be fine and has a long way to go until it's finished. Pictures?

Sounds like you were using Hop Pellets. Those are hard to keep 100% contained even in a bag. it''l clear after fermentation. Probably won't need a secondary.

I was using hop pellets, i'm pretty sure a bag opened because i've never had that happen before. Probably had something to do with smoking a rack of ribs and drinking too much at the same time.

Pilsners have very little color, so any off-color from hops or yeast will shine through.

You're the second guy I've heard of that drinks too much while he's brewing...................

My wheat beers always seem to start out looking slightly green but all is well once they reach the keg:tank:

I was using hop pellets, i'm pretty sure a bag opened because i've never had that happen before. Probably had something to do with smoking a rack of ribs and drinking too much at the same time.

Back