wine fridge as kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
I just scored a wine fridge - its a avanti . 3' tall holds 1 corney not enough room for 2 ... not wide enough but plenty tall enough , but the temp only goes down to 45f , is there anyway to get it colder to make a kegorator out of this?
or will I burn the compressor out of it? any ideas thoughts?

"sigh"
is 45f cold enough ... i don't mind cool beer. if I run 12-15' of beer line will that prevent it from foaming at 45? i don't want to drill any holes in this fridge if it's not going to work.

it all depends on the style, 45 is cool enough for ales and i'm sure you could connect a temp controller to the fridge and get it down 4 more degrees. i think a lot of people keep their kegerators at 40ish. i keep mine at 40. i don't think you'll need the longer lines, you should be able to compensate with the regulator. but maybe someone else will chime in with a conclusive answer.

as a side note, you could probably find a cheap or free old fridge on craigslist to get funky with and drill all the holes you want.

this is a CL type score ... 50 bucks!!! :D - I'm charging my drill :cross:
- my Danby fridge kegorator is on its lowest temp possible i think 38ish ... and the beer comes out around 42 out of the tap - maybe my thermometer is off?
im affraid with this one's low of 45 beer will be around 50!

as a side note, you could probably find a cheap or free old fridge on craigslist to get funky with and drill all the holes you want.

This

You will pay as much for a good temperature controller as you would for a used fridge. Also, one corny just isn't enough. Less than fifteen minutes after you first tap is installed you will be thinking "damn, I wish I had a second tap".

Back to the original topic, it could probably work with a temperature controller, but I think you will be wasting a lot of energy. From what I have seen wine fridges aren't very well insulated, especially if it has a glass door.

Is that model a compressor - normal type - or Peltier Type - the pelt type suck power and will not get as cold as a traditional compressor.

I have used my wine fridge as a fermenting chamber, works well for that. I considered using it as a kegerator and decided against it. My testing showed that it would not stay cold enough without the coils/chill plate freezing up. It an old model so don't know how the newer ones will do.

thanks for the replies , yes it has a compressor - but its really small.

Latest posts

Back