distilling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy

Reaction score
I know this isn't a beer question but I don't know where to put it. About a year ago, a bill was introduced to make distilling legal. Has anyone heard what happened to this?

Strange. Now HR 3249 refers "...to establish procedures for Federal agencies to provide an equitable remedy for employees who were mistakenly placed in the wrong retirement system during the transition from the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) to the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS)."http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/omb/legislative/sap/105-2/HR3249-h.html :drunk: I wasn't thinking of switching to HDT. I was just curious about what happened to it and if homebrewed whiskey would ever become legal. For now, I'll sip my Imperial Stout and be happy.:mug:

Strange. Now HR 3249 refers "...to establish procedures for Federal agencies to provide an equitable remedy for employees who were mistakenly placed in the ...

You know they start at 1 every year right. the 2001 HR 3249 was about distilling. The one you linked to was 1998.

Unless you live in NZ, home distilling is very illegal.

The reality is that unless your production is sizeable enough to attract the attention of the gubment, they aren't going to care much.

I know people who operate small stills on a hobby level, producing very fine spirits with the same attention to detail and craft as I do as a brewer.

Unfortunately, a serious discussion on distilling can't happen on this forum because of long-standing rules.

The college where I work opened a new building a couple years ago. When they were finishing it up I heard they were putting in a still and I thought "woohoo!" but then I found out it was to make distilled water for the chem labs. awwwwww

May be more discussion at
http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/

I think it would be very cool for it to be legalized. I'd enjoy building the equipment and trying to make something that was really good. Also it would be something you'd age for a long time and be able to enjoy years and years in the future.

We sell products for essential oil extraction and water purification purposes only! That said, one's a pot still and one's a reflux still and they are situated next to the Still Spirits liqueur and liquor essences. Rule against home distillation is pretty laughable, you can make beer and wine no problem. Also, I think it's illegal to make eisbock, which is created through freeze distillation (not the proper term, I know), despite it having lower alcohol content than something like a barleywine. Oh, the silly holdovers of a temperance movement having long met its deserved demise...

Rule against home distillation is pretty laughable, you can make beer and wine no problem.

I think a legitimate concern about distilling is that it is dangerous if attempted without a little forethought. If you screw up beer, it might taste like crap but won't kill you. Distillation carries some real risks - and I'm not talking about the first runnings that should be tossed because 'it'll make you go blind'. I'm talking about the risk of serious bodily harm from exploding vapors from a careless user or a DIY rig that's destined for failure. That's what scares the **** out me more than anything, but if you take the time to research, I'm all for it despite the illegalities.

Also, I think it's illegal to make eisbock, which is created through freeze distillation (not the proper term, I know), despite it having lower alcohol content than something like a barleywine.

Nope. Perfectly legal.

As was mentioned, discussion of distilling on this forum is against the rules. conpewter referenced the best resource for that kind of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back