Strange bubbles in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino449

Reaction score
I have strange bubbles floating on top of my beer. Bottled 7-3-12 never had this problem before. Used Muntons primium gold dry yeast for the first time and had a OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.003. I also never had FG that low before. It tasted great @ bottling it would really hurt to loose this one. Please help.

Home brewing is an art form that many have tried, but
only few have mastered.

100_3351.jpg

100_3352.jpg

100_3353.jpg

Two things. First you definitely have an infection there. It looks a lot like lacto, though it could easily be something else. I dump infected beer, but some people swear they'll get "better" with age. Up to you on that one. Also, your fill level on those bottles looks very low. Try and get about 1 inch of space between the cap and the beer, as you should get a more stable carbonation in the bottles.

Never tried Muntons dried yeast before, though I've heard horror stories about it. Maybe next time try using one of the safale or fermentis dry yeasts (S-04, S-05, Nottingham) if you haven't done so.

I would put them somewhere safe so if they blow it contains the mess. Like a big cooler. But it looks like an infection. One of the photos looks to show lines like fury spikes coming off the bubble. It could turn into a sour drinkable but I'm to much of a wuss to drink something like that. Maybe a sour beer person could tell you. If it's mold I'd dump it and clean the heck out of those bottles with mild bleach solution if you're going to keep them for reuse.

You may want to open one and post the bubbles without the bottle in the way.

Thx to everyone. I took some down to the local brew store, and we sampled one. No off smellls or taste. The bubbles in the bottles have faded alot, and the taste is great.

probably just mold spores then, fungus isnt a big problem so yea you should be fine.

Back