CO2 Valve is Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I had a party where we used our CO2 tank to keep a keg flowing nicely. It was shooting beer without all the pumping you normally have to do with a bronco pump. However, yesterday when I went to rack my stout. I couldn't get the valve on the top of the CO2 tank to budge. Normally, it is pretty simple twist, but I nor my three roommates could get it to move. What happened? How can I fix it?

I can think of three possiblities.
1. Somebody thought that they would help by jacking up the presure and tightened it down tight, look to see if any threads are still exposed.
2. maybe some beer made it back to the regulator and dried up, probably not.
3. regulator got unscrewed all the way and then fell out and someone crossthreaed it on the way back in and it siezed.

not sure how to fix any of these without looking at it. Good luck

I believe Rocky is referring to the master valve at the top of the tank.

valve_CGA320.summ.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do. Heating the valve will very likely result in the burst disk venting the tank.

:D oh duh :D ya that sucks, do you trade it in to get it refilled or do have it filled at a place that fills your bottle, if its the first one you could just swap it out and let the pros at the gas company deal with it.

+1
:D oh duh :D ya that sucks, do you trade it in to get it refilled or do have it filled at a place that fills your bottle, if its the first one you could just swap it out and let the pros at the gas company deal with it.

You could try playing with the screw that holds the handle to the valve- I am pretty sure it's just a ribbed stem that the handle goes on and has a screw to secure it, but I've never taken one apart. More then likely the ribs on the plastic handle are just gone from over tightening. Un-doing the screw, adding epoxy and re-attaching would work if above statement is the case- but most any welding supply place will just swap it without even checking or complaining (unless you bring it up).

Messing it up so they wouldn't swap it, or un-doing the screw to a cloud of CO2 doesn't sound like better alternative to simply swapping....

Double check that the handle doesn't rotate the other way. I've done that before when I wasn't paying attention...

A good pair of channel locks will turn most anything... Might not be too pretty when you get done but the valve will turn.

I am pretty sure that it is stuck closed. I'll try taking it to CO2 refilling store and have them look at it. Thanks for the brainstorming.

Very old thread, but I just had this problem and resolved it. I had shut off the cylinder last night, checked to make sure it was off before bed and noticed that it turned just a little more. Today I strained my wrist repeatedly trying to open the valve.

I even tried turning clockwise, pushing or pulling while turning counterclockwise, all to no avail. After having dinner (and beer, of course) it occurred to me that I have had an experience with some kinds of valves or threaded items in which if I turn too far down, it goes all the way around and gets loose again. So, I tried giving it a very strong clockwise turn and it broke free. I kept turning it until it shut off. Now it seems to be normal again. I'll be careful not to close it too tightly in the future.

Very old thread, but I just had this problem and resolved it. I had shut off the cylinder last night, checked to make sure it was off before bed and noticed that it turned just a little more. Today I strained my wrist repeatedly trying to open the valve.

I even tried turning clockwise, pushing or pulling while turning counterclockwise, all to no avail. After having dinner (and beer, of course) it occurred to me that I have had an experience with some kinds of valves or threaded items in which if I turn too far down, it goes all the way around and gets loose again. So, I tried giving it a very strong clockwise turn and it broke free. I kept turning it until it shut off. Now it seems to be normal again. I'll be careful not to close it too tightly in the future.

Made an account just to say thank you! I just kegged my outmeal coffee stout and my valve was completely stuck. I even tried a wrench. Turned out I just need to do as you said - turn it the other way and it managed to unstick it. Thank you - I was about to take it into the shop in a panic but now the stout is happily carbonating. Thanks again!

Made an account just to say thank you! I just kegged my outmeal coffee stout and my valve was completely stuck. I even tried a wrench. Turned out I just need to do as you said - turn it the other way and it managed to unstick it. Thank you - I was about to take it into the shop in a panic but now the stout is happily carbonating. Thanks again!
I'm so glad I could be of help. Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back