Help create recipe db

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I am taking review software and modifying it to fit a recipe db as the review software does a lot of what I want and intergrates into vB.

Here is the rough draft:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/recipedb/

Please list any questions you think should be added to each recipe submission.

Should I do something similar to:
http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/alt/recipes/10.html

If you disagree with any of these fields or think I should add others please list what you want to see.

Brewing Method:
Yeast:
Yeast Starter:
Batch Size:
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
Alcohol Content:
Total Grains:
Color:
Extract Efficiency:
Hop IBU's:
Boiling Time:
Primary Fermentation:
Secondary Fermentation:
Additional Fermentation:

Grain Bill:

Hop Bill:

Brewers Notes:

That example looks like what most of us would need.

It would be really cool if the recipies were converted to ProMash and/or Beer smith compatable files as well (for those who use such things).

On another note: Be nice to have a real review section too though. The threads are okay but that review format that currently exists looks like it would be pretty handy for actually reviewing peices, parts, tools and even retailers.

kornkob said:
T
It would be really cool if the recipies were converted to ProMash and/or Beer smith compatable files as well (for those who use such things).

There was some talk about this in another thread about a recipe repository, and I believe there are legal issues with using the ProMash file format. Not sure about Beer Smith.

-walker

There would be legal issues with posting their format on our site? Is that for real? Do we qualify under some kind of fair use or something?

Yeah, there was a big debate with the creator of Promash on the green board a while back.

FWIW, I am a part of the testing of the BETA of that new Beertools program, and they had a .rec conversion in the original program that was suddenly "removed" in a later release. I think the Promash peeps raised the BS flag on them too.

It is probably best we just stay away from the .rec file conversion stuff--but I'm just one guy who is passing on the info. Just somethign to keep int eh back of our minds--I wouldn't want TxBrew to have any trouble.

You could put them into beerxml format that way at least beersmith people would be able to use them and maybe promash might jump on board too someday. Beerxml was created to spread recipe exchange.

Would it be useful to denote extract, partial and all-grain recipes or more trouble and space then it is worth? Also, there are a lot of extreme/radical beers, does that need its own space or does the "specialty" area cover it well enough?

I think it looks great, but I would want to play with loading and viewing recipes. Nice text in the description, yeh, yeh.

I say that as long as I can post recipes from ProMash I'm cool. I can always do the leg work of entering a recipe to my ProMash if I want it.

That is a great idea, love the format and the possibility of comments/reviews of each recipe. If you begin posting recipes here I dont think I will ever need another website. Ever.

Joe

Back