So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god, I just crushed the grain for a Great Divide Brewing Oak Aged Yeti clone for tomorrow, and it filled my homer bucket to the top. I was like "why is my mill stalling" ... the bucket was to the top!! Never done a beer this big before! I can't wait. Home brewing is such a magical hobby.

Oh god, I just crushed the grain for a Great Divide Brewing Oak Aged Yeti clone for tomorrow, and it filled my homer bucket to the top. I was like "why is my mill stalling" ... the bucket was to the top!! Never done a beer this big before! I can't wait. Home brewing is such a magical hobby.

It seriously is man! Good luck tomorrow

Mashing a German Alt right now. It's the recipe from Northern Brewer with the Wyeast Dusseldorf strain, I just don't buy the kits. Looking forward to the turn out.

I also just upgraded from a cordless drill to a corded 9 amp drill to power my BC. Quite the improvement I must say! The drill was kickin @$$ and takin names.

Don't have the rest of the stuff I need to brew my PM Snowbound porter. but my infected Maori IPA got settled out after the yeast battled the lacto & seem to have won. It cleared to slightly misty again & tastes/smells good. so it gets bottled today! Thank God for small favors on His day! :ban:

Dry Irish Stout brewed yesterday morning. Got up this morning to happy yeasties creating blow-off the color of chocolate milk! Can't wait!!

My traditional stout is finishing fermenting. I got 47 bottles of that IPA since racking under the infection. Smelled & tasted ok.

Brewed Cascade Mountain Imperial IPA last night and a Honey IPA tonight. Kegged Pumpkin Ale yesterday and bottling Chimay Grande Reserve this week.

Made Beernip's Pike's Kilt Lifter clone yesterday. Did not have peat smokes malt available, so just used the smoked that the LHBS had. Also replaced Kent Goldings with Styrian Goldings because that's what I had on hand. Also used WL Ettinberg yeast instead of Suggested yeast.

This was my first all grain BIAB, following Death Brewer's method. I fell short a bit on the gravity by 6 points. My biggest confusion was knowing how much volume I had. I might have topped off with too much water.

Newcastle clone and/or Oak-aged Yeti clone

So brewed the Yeti clone, using around 19.5 lbs of fermentables for a 5 gallon batch. Did a infusion with a single decoction, twice batch sparged. It was still coming out like motor oil after collecting 7 gallons, so I decided to run about 4 gallons through a fourth running. I ended up with 2.5 gallons of a 1.042 mini-Yeti. I guess you could say I did a decoction parti-gyle. First time for both.:rockin:

Made Beernip's Pike's Kilt Lifter clone yesterday. Did not have peat smokes malt available, so just used the smoked that the LHBS had. Also replaced Kent Goldings with Styrian Goldings because that's what I had on hand. Also used WL Ettinberg yeast instead of Suggested yeast.

This was my first all grain BIAB, following Death Brewer's method. I fell short a bit on the gravity by 6 points. My biggest confusion was knowing how much volume I had. I might have topped off with too much water.

My efficiency was crap on my last BIAB. I guess you don't really hit the same numbers unless you squeeze the dickens out of the bag, which is a bit divisive around here. Some people say squeeze, some say don't because of tannins.

Plan on doing my Cascade Mountains DIPA this weekend, if I get my new yeast pack in from NB in time. Had planned on doing it this past weekend, but I made my starter up last week and it never took off. Emailed NB this morning and they are sending me another yeast pack.

Great Customer Service from those guys.

I am looking to brew a black Ipa this weekend or a Porter. Does anyone have a recipe they suggest?

Also Got my McKee Pumpkin Blaze fermenting from last week's brew.. Thanks to all for the suggestions on that brewing.

ForumRunner_20131022_071831.png

will be brewing the postponed imperial pumpkin this Saturday, a week late. but what's a week for an imperial?

won't boof the starter this time.

hopefully

imperial pumpkin ale postponed until next weekend; I funked my starter

relieved to have my first infection out of the way on a $7.99 starter instead of the $34.99 full batch

brewing an imperial pumpkin ale on Saturday

After a few 7 day weeks of 10 hour days it becomes hard to tell if this is a weekend or the start to another week so I'm grabbing this opportunity of a crappy day to brew Yooper'r Oatmeal Stout, except that I didn't have all the ingredients and the LHBS that is half an hour away doesn't either so I started substituting malts and changing quantities to fit what I had on hand. It may come out nothing like Yooper's but I'll bet that brewing today is better than doing another 10 our day out in the snow/sleet showers.

RM-MN said:
After a few 7 day weeks of 10 hour days it becomes hard to tell if this is a weekend or the start to another week so I'm grabbing this opportunity of a crappy day to brew Yooper'r Oatmeal Stout, except that I didn't have all the ingredients and the LHBS that is half an hour away doesn't either so I started substituting malts and changing quantities to fit what I had on hand. It may come out nothing like Yooper's but I'll bet that brewing today is better than doing another 10 our day out in the snow/sleet showers.

Hear hear!

Will be finally bottling my Altbier on Friday, then I can brew next Friday. Been stalled due to hold up in the fridges with long secondaries.

After getting my brewing sculpture "finished" and dialed in a little last week (week ago this past Sunday), I have been swamped with work. Just transferred that first batch "Western Grip Milk Stout" (Left Hand clone) to the secondary, and it tasted fabulous already.

So, I have to work all weekend, but NEXT weekend is my Ordinary Bitter (postponed), probably a pumpkin ale and some smoked meats! YAY for smoked meats, too. :ban:

BeerGrylls said:
My efficiency was crap on my last BIAB. I guess you don't really hit the same numbers unless you squeeze the dickens out of the bag, which is a bit divisive around here. Some people say squeeze, some say don't because of tannins.

Interesting you should say so about squeezing. This was my first BIAB and I definitely had "NO SQUEEZING" in the back of my mind from reading the forums. I wonder if anyone else has some feedback on the topic.
Either way, maybe tannins could be a good characteristic depending on the style of beer...

Interesting you should say so about squeezing. This was my first BIAB and I definitely had "NO SQUEEZING" in the back of my mind from reading the forums. I wonder if anyone else has some feedback on the topic.
Either way, maybe tannins could be a good characteristic depending on the style of beer...

You can squeeze all you want without fear of releasing tannins, you can even boil grain (hear of a decoction?) without releasing tannins. What causes issues with tannins is water Ph.

Last weekends double-decocted Dunkel was moved to this weekend and I'm anxious to make this one.

You can squeeze all you want without fear of releasing tannins, you can even boil grain (hear of a decoction?) without releasing tannins. What causes issues with tannins is water Ph.

Last weekends double-decocted Dunkel was moved to this weekend and I'm anxious to make this one.

Mmmmm... Dunkel. One of my all-time favorite styles. What recipe are you doing? I plan on making this first in line when I can lager.

Doing 10 gallons of Ed Wort's Robust Porter and splitting between a regular 5 gallon batch to get a vanilla bean/Maker's Mark hit before kegging, and the other five a little age in a 5 gallon bourbon barrel I got off a buddy in the liquor business. Plan to serve them on beer gas.

Gonna do a ~4.2% hoppy APA this weekend or next week (vacation! woo hoo!).

Thinking CTZ for bittering...what else, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll do a FWH/whirlpool hopping only thing.

Also want to do an Alt, not sure if I'll get to it this week though.

I'm doing a Saison d'Hiver tomorrow and racking my pumpkin dubbel onto a vanilla bean secondary this weekend.

well, it was supposed to be tomorrow, but there is stuff I want to do with the BigHair, so I'm gonna fit in Brew Day around work to have tomorrow free for her.

brewing an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. a HUGE beer. my biggest yet. OG = 1.118

right now, the pumpkin is baking in the oven to caramelize. smells AWESOME

GrogNerd said:
brewing an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. a HUGE beer. my biggest yet. OG = 1.118 right now, the pumpkin is baking in the oven to caramelize. smells AWESOME

I would like to see the recipe on this one. Sounds good.
I am brewing the all grain version of NCBeernut's deception stout.

I would like to see the recipe on this one. Sounds good.
I am brewing the all grain version of NCBeernut's deception stout.

in the last issue of Zymurgy magazine, The Great Pumpkin recipe

5 gallons

15 lb six-row
1 lb 60L crystal
1 lb Victory
.5 lb rice hulls
3 lb canned pumpkin
1.5 oz Magnum 90 minute

1 lb wildflower honey (end of boil)
1 tbs McCormick's pumpkin pie spice (end of boil)

1 lb maple syrup
2 lb beet sugar

yeast - "whatever monster you have a lot of - Safale US-05, WLP001, etc."

protein rest at 120° for 10 minutes
sacch rest at 154° for 60 minutes
mash out at 168° for 10 minutes

90 minute boil

ferment at 68° for two weeks

add oxygen 24 hours after pitch
add maple syrup & yeast nutrient on day 4
add 1 lb beet sugar and additional yeast on day 6
add 1 lb beet sugar on day 8

bulk or bottle age 1 year

my changes: ½ batch. MO for six-row, Munich for 60L, Lyle's Golden Syrup for beet sugar. got a 2L starter of WLP007, saving ⅓ of that for re-pitch on day 6

I'm heating up 2 cans of pumpkin (pulp, not the pie mix) with strike water, not going to mash with it or boil

Back