Blichmann Top Tier gas plumbing installation help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campy5863

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm super "stoked" as I was fortunate enough to pick up a used Blichmann top tier brewing stand which came with 1 attached burner and two shelfs. Previous owner had burner installed at the very bottom of stand, then the the two shelfs above for Rubbermaid HLT and MTcoolers. Also came with a pump for transfering liguids etc.

I would like to add an additional burner as well and replace coolers with SS vessels for MT and HTL.
Here's my problemo: I now need to "plumb" black pipe for the gas to feed both burners and have never worked with black pipe nor gas for that matter!

Is there a video, or step by step intructions out there on how to do this?
I know Blichmann has some instuctons, but doesnt really give many details for the gas pipe installation. I apologize if this has been covered, but I have been searching extensively since I buying this rig, and I cant seem to find much of anthing that pertains to this.

Anyone who has done this thenselves and could share some insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm jonesing big time to brew and can''t wait to get this part started!

Thanks again,
Campy

Hello all,

Here's my problemo: I now need to "plumb" black pipe for the gas to feed both burners and have never worked with black pipe nor gas for that matter!

Is there a video, or step by step intructions out there on how to do this?
I know Blichmann has some instuctons, but doesnt really give many details for the gas pipe installation. I apologize if this has been covered, but I have been searching extensively since I buying this rig, and I cant seem to find much of anthing that pertains to this. Campy

I have not looked at these recently, but there are several videos put out by Blichmann that are on You Tube. They may have one that covers this topic.

Before your purchase your black pipe, you will want to purchase the burner (or burners if you are buying two) from a vendor. You will want the burners for the Top Tier Stand and NOT the floor burner. Although the burners in each kit are exactly the same, the burner for the Top Tier stand has ALL the hardware you will need to attach the burner to your Top Tier. It will also have the Stainless Steel gas line and needle valve to run from the manifold to the burner. These items are not included in the Floor Stand kit.

After you get your burner(s) you will want to determine what your configuration will be. You can have two low on the same level and one high, you can have three tiers, etc. The reason for this is that it will give you an ideal of what your manifold will look like and what pieces you will need. Take some measurements to find our how long your pipes need to be. Put your Tee's at the bottom burner and middle burner. You can have elbows on the bottom (from the propane cylinder to where the propane hose attaches) and you can have an elbow at the top burner where your gas line attaches to the manifold and the needle valve (I am assuming either a two or three burner configuration).

Once you have your dimensions, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the Black Pipe (make sure that it is black pipe) in the lengths that you need. Common lengths are 1 inch, 3 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch, 24 inch, etc. Pick out the pieces that you need; you might also buy a few extra pieces that you may plan on returning if you are not sure about everything that you need.

You will need a couple of pipe wrenches and you will need some pipe dope. I used a semi liquid pipe dope for all my connections. You can get by with some tape (on the yellow spool), but make sure that it is tape for gas connections and not the Teflon tape for water connections (on the blue spool). If using pipe tape, you will want to install a couple of revolutions on the pipe thread. Install it on the thread so that the tape will tighten up as you install the pipe and the fitting. If the tape loosens up as you install the fitting, run the tape in the other direction.

I would have something like this (bottom to top)

Propane Hose to Brass Fitting
Brass Fitting to Black Elbow
Black Elbow to 6 inch nipple (black pipe)
6 inch nipple to black Tee
Black tee to 24 inch nipple (black Pipe) -- for bottom burner
24 inch nipple to Black Tee -- for Middle Burner
Black Tee to 24 inch nipple
24 inch Nipple to Elbow (for Top Burner)
Elbow to Brass Fitting
Brass Fitting to Stainless Gas Line

Please note that each fitting is mentioned twice in the above list.

Your bottom and middle Tees (if you have three burners) will each have the brass fitting installed in the odd side of the Tee. The Nipples would be in a straight line on the Tees.

This is an idea, and the actual number of pieces and lengths will depend on how you arrange the burners. Assembly of the manifold is really rather straight forward -- but use your gas pipe dope or pipe tape (I think both are available to Lowes/HD.

Doing this you should be fine.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks so much for your detailed input!
You are right. I need to figure out my configuration of the stand.
Pretty sure I will stick with a two burner set up, unless the 3rd burner makes more sense.
At this point, not sure what to do exactly. Maybe its best to keep it as simple as possible for now.
Any further thoughts on what you would do? What is your setup?
Do you like it?

Much appreciated and Thanks again,
Tim

Here is my stand. I originally purchased a Top Tier Floor Burner so that I could go to the Top Tier Stand eventually. However, I saw this unistrut build and decided to go this route because it cost less than the Top Tier Stand. I did, however, incorporate my Floor Burner, and I purchased a Top Tier Stand Burner (the one for the brew sculpture) because I wanted some of the parts that came with that kit. I also purchased the conversion kit to use on the original burner. I was mostly interested in the needle valves and the stainless gas lines. I did make a gas manifold so I could run both burners off the same propane tank.

Mark

Back