Low OG from a wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I have done several wine kits and the OG was always spot on. I did a LE kit tonight (nebbiolo) and it wasn't even close. They said it should be 1.090 - 1.100 and I am at 1.073ish. I checked with hydrometer and refractometer and the readings are similar. Should I just add corn suger to get to where it is supposed to be or what. I followed the directions and mixed well with required amounts, temp is good (equipment used on several kits). I thought they were hard to screw up at the start, add contents and water...BAM

I have done several wine kits and the OG was always spot on. I did a LE kit tonight (nebbiolo) and it wasn't even close. They said it should be 1.090 - 1.100 and I am at 1.073ish. I checked with hydrometer and refractometer and the readings are similar. Should I just add corn suger to get to where it is supposed to be or what. I followed the directions and mixed well with required amounts, temp is good (equipment used on several kits). I thought they were hard to screw up at the start, add contents and water...BAM

I'm not sure how that is possible....the low og that is. Id add some more juice or fruit not corn sugar

I think I am boned any way I look at it. Any thing I add will change the outcome. I guess I know why it was marked down.

I think I am boned any way I look at it. Any thing I add will change the outcome. I guess I know why it was marked down.

I would just roll with it. You may end up with "a little" less alcohol, but it may still turn out fine.

just let it do its thing, it should still be high enough to be okay.

Oh yeah, I am definitely going to let it run. I was wondering if there was anything I could do since it just started. This was a first for not hitting starting gravity in a kit. Strange.

Update: I wrote win expert about this. They said it was normal for this one. The skins will add the additional points. I am one day in and stirred and did notice the gravity is higher. Not sure why they couldn't put that in the instructions so they don't freak anyone out. </freaked out>

Back