Aging Russian Imperial Stout in a keg *question*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegitBrew

Reaction score
About to keg 5 gallons of a RIS (other 5 gallons is getting bottled)
Any advice about the best way to age a beer in a keg? Plan on aging at least 5-6 months.
-Prime with sugar and age room temp?
-No prime and just put enough gas in it to get out oxygen and keep it sealed and age room temp? carbonate after aging.
-No prime, cold crash, carbonate normally and age in cooler? (keep it around 38-40F in there)

Prob no need to cold crash it. If you're going to be aging it for several months minimum, then might as well use priming sugar and naturally carb. Just make sure you clear the headspace with CO2, otherwise you may suffer oxidation before the yeast can eat the priming sugar.

Also, look at priming sugar volumes. I wanna say with kegging, you use like 1/3 what you normally use. Do some reasearch on it. But yeah -- doing this method not only carbonates it, but it also does the equivalent of bottle conditioning. You'll def have some yeast on the bottom on your first few pours, but it'll clear up.

It doesn't really matter if you carb it before or after aging, or how you carb it. For the best results I'd age it at cellar temps though. And the difference in the amount of yeast that collects on the bottom between naturally carbing and force carbing is tiny.

I aged mine for about three months in the fermenter and then it sat for another nine in the keg. I did an artificial carbing but that was mainly a function of not having any confidence that the yeast would wake up and carb.

I just bulk aged a RIS in a keg for 3 months. No priming, just sealed it and let it sit at the temperature of my garage which was, i dunno, 60-something most of the time probably. Seemed to work well. I then bottled w/priming sugar and added yeast.

Back