Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrueger

Reaction score
So this is my second batch of beer so I am very much a newbie. This has been fermenting for about a week now and has formed a thick greenish/yellow layer on top of the wort. Is this mold? The research I've done says that it is ok, just to draw from under it when bottling. It is still fermenting like crazy and has about 2 weeks left in the carboy before bottling.

Any comments will be welcomed.

JC

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

This is the recipe I used. The only change I did is the yeast. I used Safale us-05 yeast instead on the recommendation of the brew store I bought the stuff at.

Ingredients:

260g of hulled millet

100g of buckwheat kernels

21g of coriander seeds

37g of Hallertau hop pellets

1kg of maltodextrin (from maize)

65g jar of vanilla bean paste

1 packet of Saflager S-23 lager yeast

70g of thinly sliced fresh orange rind

1.5kg of honey

(Please note this recipe makes beer of about 3.2% alcohol. Another 500g of honey will bring it to 4.2% approx.)

Priming sugar (household white sugar)

Directions.

Crush the millet, buckwheat (both unroasted) and coriander seeds in a blender, until they are broken up into grist. You only want them cracked open. You don’t want them to be a powder or flour. Add the grist along with the orange rind to 3 litres of boiling water and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for another 15 minutes. Strain the liquid through a kitchen strainer into your fermenting barrel. Add the vanilla bean past and stir.

Add your honey, maltodextrin and 25g of the hops to 8 litres of boiling water. Stir well. When the water starts to boil again allow it to boil for 40 minutes. At the 40 minute mark add the rest (12g) of the hops (aroma) and boil for another 10 minutes. Allow wort (liquid) to sit for 10 minutes. Strain the wort through your kitchen strainer into your fermenting vessel. Add enough water to make 20 litres and stir for about 5 minutes. When cool enough, pitch yeast.

Allow to ferment out (approx. 3 weeks).When the specific gravity has stopped dropping on your hydrometer (approx 1.014) the beer is ready to bottle.

Prime and bottle beer. Allow a minimum of two weeks to ferment in the bottle. The longer the better the flavours are.

Looks fine to me. Normal krausen. The green is just hop particles that are suspended in the foam. Keep on fermenting!!

Looks fine to me. Just krausen forming up there...keep an eye on it but nothing looks wrong

Back