The Amazing, new speed bottling technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktheKnife

Reaction score
The Amazing, new 'speed bottling technique' !

Gentlemen, beer and ale must be either bottled or kegged.
Think of all the different size beer bottles you have seen in your life.
One day I will be set up to keg a whole batch, 5 gallons.
Like in one big bottle.
On the other hand however
12 oz bottles while optimum from the user standpoint,
are way slow to bottle!
'50 bottles' can be reduced by half by using 22 oz bottles
as I proved the other night bottling up my first batch
of the cool, weather brewing season.
22-24 bottles are half as easy to wash, sanitize, rinse, fill, cap, and retire to the brewery, as 50!

To take this truth further,
I drink beer and ale.
There's no denying it.
I mean a gallon a day is a bit much but 9-10 beers is not unusual.
I mean I am the boss!
In other words what I need is bigger bottles.
Is there a 33 oz 44 oz 55 oz bottle?
A half gallon jug with 'a hole' the size of a beer bottle?
A quarter gallon?

Boys, this is what we need!
If one doesn't exist, lets make one!
A bottle which would last me for my entire 'before dinner drunk'.
Or a 'watch a movie drunk'.
A little one for the 'after coffee drunk', a 22 oz'er is perfect here.
An after dinner drunk!
The 'great bigg-un', half a gallon'er, at 65 oz's !
See?

I think, I am really onto something here !
Big bottles would reduce bottling time,
by, however big the bottles are.
5 gallons...
12 oz'ers 46 bottles !!!
22 oz'ers 22-24.
44 oz'ers 11-12!
88 oz'ers 5-6 bottles to fill!
Hell! That would be done in...
well, see, I'm already done!
Faster and cheaper than bottling or kegging!

Is that cool or what?

Knife

Knife, you are a genius!
I am like totally stunned!
A new age of homebrewing is happening as I am writing these words.
Big bottles!
Dern!
I just need some big bottles.

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com
'Knife' himself

It's called a carboy, lol....

Just get Yuri to make you a big ass cap and big ass capper, then drink it through siphon hosing.... no need to make anything special, just improvise...

`

Flying lion dude,

I called up old Andy at the 'HomeBrewHeadquarters'
{N. Dallas}
and asked him about growlers.
Bingo!
He has different sizes of 'big bottles'.
With screw caps and he said they were alright.
And I think about the 2,000 12 oz bottles I bottled last year.
They look good on the shelf in the brewery.
I was trying for a record 1,000 bottles of
"ale that don't taste too bad",
and have them all in the same place and at the same time,
for documenting them photographically,
and came close.
But hell,
I missed a lot of coon hunting.

A miracle!
I can put up a batch in...
its already done.
Dern, that was fast!

See, I can spend more time brewing.
More time drinking!
Thanks for the info.
I have been going in there for 10 years and never knew about a growler.
Still have no idea what they will look like,
but bigger bottles= faster bottling.
http://homesteading7.proboards80.com/index.cgi?board=mystories
'Lets git ignert and go coon hunting!'

Knife

A guy at work told me he found 1-liter flip-top style bottles at IKEA for 2 bucks. I don't know if they were clear or brown, but if you have an IKEA close by, it might be worth a look.

Homebrew HQ normally has used growlers for about 1.50. Every time I see em there I buy em out. Think half gallon jug with a screw on lid.

The original post seemed like poetry, so in response, a haiku...

A man from Texas
Likes Tecate thirty-twos
They call him EdWort

Here in VT, Switchback comes in 1L fliptop bottles.. $1.50 bottle deposit, I get them for $1.75 from the redemption place.. 19 bottles and I'm done!!

SpamDog

I have been "bottling" in 2 liter soda (pop) plastic bottles. I re use the store bought soda bottles. I cold water sanatize. Before that I used the standard champagne bottles (about 25 oz.)

I would not use a 5 gal carboy. They are not designed for pressure, as far as I know.

Can those jumbo sized cans of like Heineken that I see in the grocery store be reused? If not, I saw some of those 5 quart stainless mini-kegs for sale for I think it was $9.99 at a homebrew supply store; four time use before replacing a $1 gasket. I would also wager that a suitable seal could be improvised for those gallon jugs - maybe using big rubber stopper and a pair of those twisting pliars things to sorta make a basket - there's always 100mph tape; the garilla brand is pretty sticky.

I like these ideas, especially the growler and soda bottles, but I am likely going to go to the reusable stainless 5 quart mini-kegs myself - just in case I don't finish it all at once or want to switch gears in mid-session.

I have a bunch of quart bottles someone gave me that soda came in many years ago. His grandfather had them because he homebrewed. I have not used these yet, but plan to on a beer that most people like simply because in that case the bottles can be shared a pint each.

American sparkling wine bottles hold 750ml and take a standard beer cap. Unfortunately as I found out last night they don't work with two lever cappers as the neck is too thick.
Most growlers probably won't hold up to too many cycles as they are not designed for the pressure.
2 or 3 liter soda bottles are a good bet if you can find a supply. It doesn't sound like you leave them around too long to get skunked or have oxidizing problems from the more porous bottle.

Craig

I am very fond of my 2L Grolsch bottles. I saw some on e-bay a while ago, but couldn't find any now for a link. Some times I will condition in them, but I also use them as growlers and fill right off the tap with a tube on the faucet.
(at least, I think they are 2L. They hold almost as much as a 1/2 gal growler.)

derogg said:
You could bottle in used "Olde E" Forty ouncers !!
^my thoughts exactly!^:mug:

Or get the tap-a-draft system--then you only have to fill three big-ass bottles per batch!

RangerG said:
Can those jumbo sized cans of like Heineken that I see in the grocery store be reused? If not, I saw some of those 5 quart stainless mini-kegs for sale for I think it was $9.99 at a homebrew supply store; four time use before replacing a $1 gasket. I would also wager that a suitable seal could be improvised for those gallon jugs - maybe using big rubber stopper and a pair of those twisting pliars things to sorta make a basket - there's always 100mph tape; the garilla brand is pretty sticky.

I like these ideas, especially the growler and soda bottles, but I am likely going to go to the reusable stainless 5 quart mini-kegs myself - just in case I don't finish it all at once or want to switch gears in mid-session.

Speaking of tap-a-draft, those mini-kegs are used in conjunction with the tap-a-draft valve. http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=7&sectionID=1

orfy said:
You can use plastic soda bottle if you wish.
Stores here sell 2L bottles of beer.

++^

I tried bottling in 4 litre cleaned/sanitized apple juice plasic jugs unfortunately it didnt hold pressure. A 1 gallon pet jug would be a nice option..fits nicely into a fridge ...maybe even labeled for the day of the week to keep organized / rationed :drunk:

cheers :mug:
BeerCanuck

I can bottle 12 1.5 liter fliptops out of 5 gallons. I can usually find these Grolsch bottle for 10-50¢ each at yard sales.

RangerG said:

i keg with 5l kegs, they are so much easier and only takes 4 per batch.

1L EZ cap flip-top

bottle-7087.jpg

750 mL champagne bottle
I'm pretty sure these can be crown capped also.
bottle-6513.jpg

Growler's are what you are after Jack, but I would split the batch if I were you. Some in growlers, some in 12/22's. Like you said, sometimes you just want that "after coffee drunk" or maybe you will want to give away a bottle or two, but not a whole growler!!

Why does everything have to be fast? I like to bottle nice and slowly.

I also use 22oz bottles, but to make up for the excessive boost in speed, I use an eyedropper instead of a siphon.

The best part is that by the time I'm done bottling my batch, it's all carbonated and ready to go!

Sincerely,
Alan Slowsky

Just had a thought. If you wanted to bottle in growlers, but didn't want to drink a whole growler in one sitting, you could convert to a smallish keg.

Ala' Dude:
636-growlertap.jpg

We bottled some of our Earl of Snohomish Barleywine in a swing top Jeroboam. It holds 95.4 fl. oz.

Other bottle sizes

*quarter bottle (aka. split or piccolo bottle) (187.5 or 200 ml) mainly used by airlines and nightclubs.
*half-bottle (aka. Demi) (375 ml) used in restaurants
*bottle (aka. Imperial) (750 ml)
*Magnum (1.5 L) (equivalent to 2 bottles)
*Jeroboam (3 L) (4 bottles)
*Rehoboam (4.5 L) (6 bottles)
*Methuselah (6 L) (8 bottles)
*Salmanazar (9 L) (12 bottles)
*Balthazar (12 L) (16 bottles)
*Nebuchadnezzar (15 L) (20 bottles)
*Melchior (18 L) (24 bottles)
*Solomon (25 L)
*Primat (27 L) (36 bottles)
*Melchizedek (30 L) (40 bottles)

When i was stationed in Germany they always had 3L and 6L bottles of heineken for sale on base around the holidays. I still have one of the bottles.

UMMMMMMMM ISN"T ALE BEER????? I like the post, but wtf?

Sorry, you just mentioned several times that you drink "ale and beer". That is like saying "I drink Coke and Carbonated Beverages!"

Unless maybe you are such a lager snob that you call only Lager beer and everything else ale.

Nice post though.

Back