Family Reunion Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
My wife's family is having a reunion on June 9, and they asked me to brew for the event. The beers are all brewed and bottle conditioned, and everything is great, except for the fact that I have 15 twelve packs, and not enough refrigerator space to chill them down all at once. I'd like to give them all a good week in the fridge in order for the CO2 to be reabsorbed properly. My question is, once the beers are chilled, if I remove them from the fridge, will the CO2 leave the solution, putting me right back where I started? My thought is to chill them in stages, and then put the whole batch on ice the night before the event. Any advice is appreciated.:mug:

Ideally once the beers are cold you do not want to allow them to get warm and then cold again, temperature swings are not kind to beer.

If they have been bottle conditioning for awhile already then the need to fridge them for a period of time is less a concern. I would put whatever you can fit in the fridge and the rest put in coolers a day or two prior on ice and then start drinking the ones in the fridge first while the rest sit on ice

Should be a great bash, I didn't get my invite though.....,..

Cool, take trip, brew warms, cool again... bad mojo for the brew.

Is the reuinion far away?
Is it at a home or park?

I'd say move the brew as close to the site as possible, cool it there, then transfer in coolers.

When the beer warms up the CO2 comes back out of solution.
So no question that temp raise and lower over and over are not good for the beer and the CO2 will be released in warmer conditions but only to the limited extent that there is some kind of equalization of pressure in the beer container, bottle or keg??? If all the CO2 escaped any beer on the shelf or not cooled throughout its life post carbing would be flat. Am I missing something here?
I brew a few batches of beer for a wedding, graduation, birthday something. Keg and force carb the beer cooling it at that point. Jump to a clean keg to get rid of the yeast on the bottom of the first keg using less than 5psi to jump it. Put it back in the cooler with 15 psi until I move it 1000 miles or so over the course of not more than three days, then cool the beer down again overnight and serve with 5psi and a picnic tap. At serving beer is carbed well, clear and tastes fine (like I never moved it away from my home)

Back