Shut down (Michigan Brewing Company)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
The Michigan Brewing Company headquarters and brewing facilities in Webberville Mi.were closed Tuesday Apr.25th. They were foreclosed on and evicted. There goes my homebrew store and Bad A** beer.

I saw the tweet about the police, but they didn't say what happened. This answers a lot of questions.

I wonder how this may affect their new headquarters.

All this before national homebrew day...

Well that is a shame ... I always had good interactions with the employees there. Time to start shopping for a new LHBS

Every time I had to travel I96 to Detroit area, I always looked forward to the return trip from Detroit. You get past that traffic from Detroit to Milford, and before hitting the Lansing traffic it was nice to stop at Michigan Brewery and get a great meal and a decent beer. I would pick up 3-4 bags of grain and it made the rest of the drive home worth the hassle of the 400 mile round trip. I was there 3 weeks ago and everything seemed normal. Sorry to hear they are closing.

Something tells me that there is more to come on this story. MBC is what, 3rd or 4th largest brewery in the state and suddenly they can't pay their bills?

Sorry but I've never had a good experience with either MBC or Things Beer.

Sorry but I've never had a good experience with either MBC or Things Beer.

Then you never tried the Italian or Turkey on the pretzel roll, or the sweet potato fries. And you never bought Briess 2 row brewer malt for $27.00 a bag, (with the homebrew club member discount). Or filled a Corny Keg of their IPA for $35

I hope they can find a way to turn it around if we don't get screaming pumpkin her in PA. SWMBO is going to be seriously jacked!

You would think with the money Kid Rock has he could funnel some of it over to the brewery. Isn't he one of the owners? I think I saw it on an episode of Diners Drive Ins and Dives.

I got wind something was a muck and should have zipped over for couple sakes of grain & 3gal carboy. I snoozed & lost. I hope they at least open the hb store again but doesn't look good.

MBC and Fenton Downtown Development Authority agree to terminate lease. Looks like the new place isn't happening either. That's a bummer, you always hate to see businesses fail. I wonder what happened; mismanagement or unprepared growth?

Celis White was one of my favorite Witbiers.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard there was going to be a BIG homebrew competition judged there later this summer. Have to look into that.

I just got into Celis Grand Cru -- sad to see them on the down and out -- guess I'll have to get that clone project going sooner than later :(

I just tryed their High Seas IPA and thought it was great. Would love a clone recipe or something close. Anybody have a recipe that is close? Thanks

Well, this place seems to have had a following, judging by some of the posts. But just because you can brew, and brew well, doesn't mean you can (or even want to) run a business. The two bases must somehow be covered.

I had a taste for their nut brown about...10 years ago when they were in the smaller building accessed through the Mobil parking lot. Hell, I thought they were already out of business, as the old brewery is empty...Hmm...

I found the beers to be average to the point I did not want to spend my money on them when I picked up supplies. I would usually have the IPA it was OK. The wife liked the Screaming Pumpkin in the fall. The bulk grain prices were the best I found as were most of the thing they sold. My impression of the main dude , a little shady. I always thought they needed a little more edge to all brews.

I found the beers to be average to the point I did not want to spend my money on them when I picked up supplies. I would usually have the IPA it was OK. The wife liked the Screaming Pumpkin in the fall. The bulk grain prices were the best I found as were most of the thing they sold. My impression of the main dude , a little shady. I always thought they needed a little more edge to all brews.

Me too. Average beer in most cases, with a couple of exceptions. They did a lot of "contract brews" with other people's names on them. They had a lot of capacity.

I think if they could have managed to nail down a couple of good imperial recipes, to generate some buzz, they could have done better. They made some light lagers that IMO weren't any better than a good BMC product, but cost more. Hard to get BMC drinkers interested in paying more for the same thing.

This a shame to see any Michigan company go down. Well hopefully those who liked the MBC's beers will migrate to drinking beers from the other brewing companies in our fine state. Their only beer worth buying a 6er of in my opinion was the Celis White and over the last couple years even that was not quite what it once was. From the last update I got from a "little bird" they are completely done.

drhookmec Hopmans is ok. Rick is a great guy however there is another homebrew shop that I like better than Hopmans. Check out the Malty Dog in Southfield. They do not have quite the selection of some shops but they have the essentials, lower prices than any place in the area, and they are also a brew pub. Their beer is excellent. I love the fact I can walk in, hand them a recipe and have a pint while they mill my grain.

drhookmec Hopmans is ok. Rick is a great guy however there is another homebrew shop that I like better than Hopmans. Check out the Malty Dog in Southfield. They do not have quite the selection of some shops but they have the essentials, lower prices than any place in the area, and they are also a brew pub. Their beer is excellent. I love the fact I can walk in, hand them a recipe and have a pint while they mill my grain.

Sounds Awesome! Will haft to check that place out.

Tim

Staffing issues. Bobby could never, ever keep a brewer on his staff. Never. Sure, the second generation Brockmiller was a great guy and loyal to the end (he was there up until the very last day), but Bobby never allowed him to develop as a brewer. Truly, anyone that came through Michigan Brewing that tried to grow as a brewer were quickly driven out by Bobby and his micromanaging theatrics.

And the rest of the staff. Bobby paid sh*t wages, and thus got a sh*t staff, folks that were not well kept, well mannered, or the least bit professional. Sure, there was the occasional bright and professional bar maid or server, but that was rare.

And the menu....average at best. When MBC moved to the new facility, there was the chance to install a real kitchen, put some real food on the menu, and make it a destination. Nope. We'll stick with the lousy sandwiches and canned soups. (Anyone remember Laura's Five Candle White Chicken Chili from the old place?)

And the ambiance, or lack of it. The bar and immediate pub area were OK, but rest of the joint reminded you of a friggin' church basement, and there were zero efforts to change that. Who wants to relax in someplace with linoleum floors, painted walls, and ceiling tiles? Institutional yuck.

And that "patio". Right out in the blazing sun on a concrete slab, sure, let's roast the guests like sun dried tomatoes.

And the wood fired pizzas...and the barbeque that never was...and on and on and on until he pissed it all away.

Staffing issues. Bobby could never, ever keep a brewer on his staff. Never. Sure, the second generation Brockmiller was a great guy and loyal to the end (he was there up until the very last day), but Bobby never allowed him to develop as a brewer. Truly, anyone that came through Michigan Brewing that tried to grow as a brewer were quickly driven out by Bobby and his micromanaging theatrics.

And the rest of the staff. Bobby paid sh*t wages, and thus got a sh*t staff, folks that were not well kept, well mannered, or the least bit professional. Sure, there was the occasional bright and professional bar maid or server, but that was rare.

And the menu....average at best. When MBC moved to the new facility, there was the chance to install a real kitchen, put some real food on the menu, and make it a destination. Nope. We'll stick with the lousy sandwiches and canned soups. (Anyone remember Laura's Five Candle White Chicken Chili from the old place?)

And the ambiance, or lack of it. The bar and immediate pub area were OK, but rest of the joint reminded you of a friggin' church basement, and there were zero efforts to change that. Who wants to relax in someplace with linoleum floors, painted walls, and ceiling tiles? Institutional yuck.

And that "patio". Right out in the blazing sun on a concrete slab, sure, let's roast the guests like sun dried tomatoes.

And the wood fired pizzas...and the barbeque that never was...and on and on and on until he pissed it all away.

I've been there 2-3 times and am sorry to see it like this, but that's a pretty accurate statement. I've heard from several others that he did a terrible job managing the place and people. Nothing "interesting" about MBC is one thing that helped do it in. They had capacity. They lacked any style. The other things I didn't like??

Sargeants
Bad Bass American Lager
Wolverine

It was like MBC wanted to be the next big macro brewer...

MBC will always have a special place in my heart. The a bunch of students from the School of Packaging at MSU did a tour there my senior year. That trip is what exposed me to a world outside of Bud/Miller/Coors. I have not been back in years but remember it pretty much exactly how MBCSucks described it. Sad to see something with so much potential go down the drain.

Anyone tried Hopmans in Waterford Township for homebrew supplies?

My dad lives just around the corner from that place. When I go visit this summer I'll probably be brewing a batch at my dad's place. As much as I have enjoyed ordering from Northern Brewer (because the closest HBS is a 2 hour drive away from my house), I'd love to support a Michigan business. Especially one that is practically in my dad's backyard.

Celis White appears to be a bad luck brand. Down in Texas we went through losing it two owners ago.

I've been there 2-3 times and am sorry to see it like this, but that's a pretty accurate statement. I've heard from several others that he did a terrible job managing the place and people. Nothing "interesting" about MBC is one thing that helped do it in. They had capacity. They lacked any style. The other things I didn't like??

Sargeants
Bad Bass American Lager
Wolverine

It was like MBC wanted to be the next big macro brewer...

And there were more problems. I've spoken to investors, and here's what they've told me:

1. Bobby inflated the stock value. One person invested, bought 400 shares at $50 each. When they received the stock certificate, the certificate stated 330,000 shares were outstanding. Do the math. That's a total corporate value of $14,500,000. Does anyone believe MBC was worth a cool $14.5 mill? And then this person told me a balance sheet was presented to them at the next annual investor's meeting that showed total company assets of about $2.5 mill. Doesn't take a CPA or SEC investigator to sniff out THAT fraud.

2. Speaking of regular shareholder meetings, the last one to be held was in March of 2009. This was the last time shareholders received any financials as well. Bobby has supplied NO financial or statements to any investor in the last three years.

3. And then there's the MBC downtown location. That was a partnership Bobby entered into with another investor, Ernie St. Pierre, and they shut out the rest of the shareholders. They attempted to call it "MBC" and claim it was a different entity, yet the name was strikingly similar and the place served exclusively MBC products. THAT'S known as "shareholder oppression". It's illegal to set up a substantially similar entity in name, product, and brand, but shut out the shareholders.

Bobby better lawyer up, big time.

And there were more problems. I've spoken to investors, and here's what they've told me:

1. Bobby inflated the stock value. One person invested, bought 400 shares at $50 each. When they received the stock certificate, the certificate stated 330,000 shares were outstanding. Do the math. That's a total corporate value of $14,500,000. Does anyone believe MBC was worth a cool $14.5 mill? And then this person told me a balance sheet was presented to them at the next annual investor's meeting that showed total company assets of about $2.5 mill. Doesn't take a CPA or SEC investigator to sniff out THAT fraud.

2. Speaking of regular shareholder meetings, the last one to be held was in March of 2009. This was the last time shareholders received any financials as well. Bobby has supplied NO financial or statements to any investor in the last three years.

3. And then there's the MBC downtown location. That was a partnership Bobby entered into with another investor, Ernie St. Pierre, and they shut out the rest of the shareholders. They attempted to call it "MBC" and claim it was a different entity, yet the name was strikingly similar and the place served exclusively MBC products. THAT'S known as "shareholder oppression". It's illegal to set up a substantially similar entity in name, product, and brand, but shut out the shareholders.

Bobby better lawyer up, big time.

Something tells me your not much of a fan of MBC. Not sure where I'm picking that up from, but I get a strange feeling. ;)

In all seriousness, never had a beer from there, but like someone else said, saw the place on Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives and it looked like they had some nice equipment and at least a few loyal customers. Pretty unexpected news to someone like me that is not in the know.

So what's to become of the place? Do they sell the equipment? Sell the whole place to a new brewer?

Everything in the building is under a complete lien by the new owner due to non-payment of rent.

Look for a HUGE brewery equipment auction in the near future, folks, and look for TONS of LHBS gear at auction prices, too.

Everything must go, go GO ! !

Hey brewing community, we at Dusty's Cellar are going to try and fill a little of your need for home brewing supplies on the east side of town, so come on over and check out what we can do for you.

Latest posts

Back