Sources for 375ml bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm normally really resourceful about these types of things, but I'm plum stumped on where to find these used. I've probably rummaged through the local recycling bins 25+ times to get regular and 1liter bottles, and have never seen one 375.

I live in Utah so not a lot of folks drink. I'm a graduate student and can't afford/won't buy new bottles. Anyone have any other ideas?

You could try talking to the cooks or owners of Hamilton's steak and seafood, see if they will save you any bottles. Other fine dining places may do the same as well.

At the risk of being impaled on the lightning bolts of the wine gods, since 375 ml equals 12.68 ounces, could 12 ounce beer bottles be used?

Fred

At the risk of being impaled on the lightning bolts of the wine gods, since 375 ml equals 12.68 ounces, could 12 ounce beer bottles be used?

Fred

I've been told that beer bottles won't handle wine corks, and wine corks are necessary for aging. Plus they don't look nearly as cool.

Where at in Utah are you? I work as a Sous Chef in Ogden and have all the bar tenders on point to bring me all empty wine bottles that take a cork! ( The promise of my food is enough to keep them on it!) I would be happy to pass some along to you. You would just have to pick them up. PM me and we will see if we can work it out:)

I've been told that beer bottles won't handle wine corks, and wine corks are necessary for aging. Plus they don't look nearly as cool.

True... but you said you're a poor starving grad student (to paraphrase)... and cork for cork, cap for cap, crown caps are WAY cheaper and beer bottles are WAY more plentiful. :) And if you're getting as fancy as to age the stuff, bigger bottles such as the common 750ml and the big boy (I call him a party bottle) 1500ml would see to make more sense. :)

If you're feeling adventurous I just go through the recycling at an Italian restaurant in town. Sundays are always good because they tend for more wine sales over the weekends. In fact I'm going to replenish my supplies tomorrow.

Its also a misconception that brews don't age in capped bottles due to the lack of slow oxygen exposure. I'm not sure how it happens but my Meads have aged well in capped beer bottles for me.

I just raided a restaurants recycling today and found two 350ml champagne bottles, 6 500ml pellegrino bottles (crown caps), and about 30 of these Italian beer bottles that are like 11.6oz or something but look so cool when the labels are off.

Moral? Dumpster-diving for the win. :)

If you're feeling adventurous I just go through the recycling at an Italian restaurant in town. Sundays are always good because they tend for more wine sales over the weekends. In fact I'm going to replenish my supplies tomorrow.

Unfortuntely Joseph Smith messed that option up for me.

Back