Beer Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can enter new styles but I think you have to do it one by one.

It looks like a new version is in beta testing and Denny brought up the Brewers Association guidelines which might be added to it.

You can export into HTML just select the recipe then go to File-Export as. Select "Selected Files only" and select "Web or Custom Format" and put it into the file you want it to save it. It gives me a file that opens up in firefox.

I suppose I could get off my lazy butt and check, but has there been a poll here on who uses what brewing software?

I am thinking of getting some and am interested in what people think are the pros and cons of Brewsmith vs. Promash.

I say try them both out. They both have a free trial period. A cool thing I like in AG brewing is that beersmith has the milwaukee water profile built into it and I checked it against the last water report and it was right on.

McCall St. Brewer said:
I suppose I could get off my lazy butt and check, but has there been a poll here on who uses what brewing software?

I am thinking of getting some and am interested in what people think are the pros and cons of Brewsmith vs. Promash.

If you batch sparge, Beersmith is your best option. Promash is a real pain to calculate batch sparges. Beersmith does it effortlessly.

Beersmith is modern and it's calculations are right on IMHO.

Promash the software is very "old" feeling and too modular for my tastes. Never tried brewing based on it's calculations.

It looks like a new version is in beta testing right now. Is anyone here a tester? Also the rumor is that the new version is going to have late addition formula for extract brewers. It going to account for the IBU change for the lower gravity.

I've always used Promash and really like it. (I guess it's just what I'm used to) I just downloaded Beersmith and will give it a try.

knipknup said:
Yeah, I use and like it too. Haven't figured out how to output recipes into a cool html format yet like promash does. Any thoughts?

You can export from BeerSmith. Just pick out a recipe, then go file/export as, then follow the wizard.

Sause,
I was just looking at the numbers that beersmith lists on their site for Milwaukee

Ca 96.0 ppm
mg 47.0 ppm
na 7.0 ppm
so4 26.0 ppm
cl 16.0 ppm
bicarbonate 107.0 ppm

and I have completely different numbers using the numbers from http://water.mpw.net/1waterquality.htm

I see
Ca 35.0 ppm
mg 12.0 ppm
na 9.0 ppm
so4 29.0 ppm
cl .95 ppm
bicarbonate 107.0 ppm

Some are very close in numbers, some are very different. Am I looking at the correct numbers here??

I checked it last year so it probably changed but when I looked every value that BeerSmith had was within the Max and Min Values that MWW had in their report. That is surrprizing to me.

jayflap said:
Sause,
I was just looking at the numbers that beersmith lists on their site for Milwaukee

Ca 96.0 ppm
mg 47.0 ppm
na 7.0 ppm
so4 26.0 ppm
cl 16.0 ppm
bicarbonate 107.0 ppm

and I have completely different numbers using the numbers from http://water.mpw.net/1waterquality.htm

I see
Ca 35.0 ppm
mg 12.0 ppm
na 9.0 ppm
so4 29.0 ppm
cl .95 ppm
bicarbonate 107.0 ppm

Some are very close in numbers, some are very different. Am I looking at the correct numbers here??

Something's missing. Where are the numbers for the Cryptosporidium???:D

Sorry, that was actually a bad joke, but couldn't help myself.......

BeerSmith is all I've ever used, is there anything I'm missing out on with other programs?

I used promash a lot then when my hd crashed I tried out beersmith.

I generally use beersmith since it's more user friendly for recipes and use promash for it's tools and calculators.

The one Giant pain in the a$$ with beersmith is if you are working on a recipe or adding stuff etc and you need to use a calculator, beersmith closes the window you were working in when it loads the calculator. I hate that.

I messed around with Promash, then tried the Beersmith demo, too.

I just bought a license to use Beersmith. I love how simple it makes it to brew. Being new to all grain, I love that I can print out step by step instructions that tell me how much strike water to have and what temp to bring it to and how much sparge water to have and what temp to bring it to. When I first brewed with it, it was very close to being completely accurate. Just need to do a little tweaking of amounts and temps for the next time. Very simple and easy to use. They got my money.

Back