First DIY Home Brew Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooshed_Snoot_Brew

Reaction score
Want to brew a very simple IPA, something on the lighter side with some bitterness and hoppyness yet not overwhelming.

Here is what I put together with BeerAlchemy any feedback would be great.

Fermentables

8 oz Caramel (Crystal) 40L (mainly using as I have on hand) 30 min steep.
7 lbs Light Dried Malt Extract - added at start of boil.

Hops/Schedule (using hops I have on hand - of these varieties I have additional available so if more is recommended I have on hand)

Beginning of boil
1.0 oz 14.5 ALPHA Tomahawk

Schedule
1/5 oz of 5.4 Cascade & 1/5 oz of 8.8 Centennial @ 45/30/15/5/0

Using US-05 Yeast.

I may consider dry hopping, but again looking for something not as complex for those in my group that like things a little lighter. Good or too much?

I would suggest taking your 45 and 30 minute additions and distributing them throughout your 15, 5, and 0 additions. 45 and 30 don't really do anything except for add bitterness, and if you need more IBUs you can just add some more CTZ at 60.

Always dry hop IPAs! That's how you get that fresh hop aroma in them.

I agree with devilishprune.

My belief is that an IPA should have 2oz of finishing hops at an absolute minimum... preferably 3-4. I usually distribute in the last 15 mins, and I love a big flameout charge.

And +1 to dry hopping as well. 1oz min, but 2oz is probably more typical for a regular IPA.

Back