How (would) you fix this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I had a bad brew day a while back, stuck sparge, wort all over the floor...etc! I was brewing an experimental rye IPA that included 1/2 lb of malted rye I toasted it the oven at 300 f for 30 mins after soaking the rye in water a couple of hours.

So I am quite sure this is the source of the bad taste in this beer, though I suppose all the shenanigans of the stuck sparge and the spilled wort could easily have effected the beer also.

So what I am left with is a rather nice, 7.5% abv IPA with a nasty aftertaste which is (I am sure) the toasted rye. It is an almost goaty farm dirt flavor.

I am not at all sure this can be fixed but my thought was initially to hit it with a bunch of hops in the keg but that won't really address the aftertaste I suspect.

It is possible I suppose this might mellow so I am considering putting the keg in the garage over the winter and trying it in a month or so.

I am open to any suggestions if anyone has them!

Fix it by brewing another batch and improving your process.

Time is likely your only friend with the present batch. It's ok to make bad beer. It's even ok to dump it. Just learn from your mistakes.

Fix it by brewing another batch and improving your process.

Time is likely your only friend with the present batch. It's ok to make bad beer. It's even ok to dump it. Just learn from your mistakes.

Nope can't dump my beer it is against my religion. My process improves every week (and at any rate is perfectly fine) and my next batch is always 7 days after or less.

I am currently (sortof) enjoying this beer with some Simcoe pellets in the glass.

Any other suggestions?!

Have your friends over for a BBQ, Burn the hotdogs, give the beer to your friends. They will think it was the burnt hotdogs that messed up their tastebuds.

How long did you wait between toasting and brewing? It's good to give the grains about a week or so to relax or they can sometimes carry harsh/burnt/phenolic tastes into the beer. I'm pretty sure they'll mellow with some cold conditioning, but it's not the best style to let age I guess.

Yeah you always need to drink your mistakes. Someone on here said it builds character.

Back