Floating gunk in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehron

Reaction score
I've got a Weizenbier from a kit going in the fermenter now. The instructions called for 3-7 days of fermentation with the airlock activity in consideration.

Well, the airlock bubbling stopped within two days, maybe three at the most. I gave it another couple of days and opened it up today and it looks like I've got lily pads of muddy slime floating on top. It's been long enough since my first couple of batches that I can't remember if this is normal at all. It doesn't smell off (strong, but not off). Does it just need more time, or is there something wrong? I do think that I may not have aerated the wort much.

The gravity reading was still a bit high at 1.018 rather than the called for FG of 1.014.

Should I just give it another week or so?

And do these kits usually seem a bit hasty in their instructions?

That's what I like to hear!

I also haven't done a secondary yet with any of the few batches I've done so far. Maybe I'll get a carboy and give it a shot.

Back