Thoughts on this grain bill for an Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
I've really been enjoying simple recipes lately. I've never much cared for the carmel-bomb, super sweet type IPA's, thus I avoid crystal malts when brewing IIPAs. This should put me around 6 srm. I'm going to mash a little high for some body/balance (154-155). I'm shooting for an SG around 84. Do you guys think this grain bill and the aforementioned mash temp will produce a relativley nice balanced IIPA? I'm shooting for 100 ibus; I haven't quite decided on a final hop schedule, hence the lack of one below. Thoughts?

3 lbs Special Aromatic Malt (5L)
14 lbs 2 row

Thanks Adam

looks lke a lot of aromatic to me... lots of IPAs use vienna or munich, and I've had some success with special B- similar to Arrogant Bastard..

personally, i like my IPAs and especially IIPAs dry as hell. i've started mashing 150-151 and i'll throw in a half pound or pound of dextrose too, just to make sure it finishes nice and dry. thats just me though..

:mug:

Keep in mind, it is MFB Special Aromatic and is only 5L, unlike other aromatic malts which are like 17-25L.

at 155 and 85 sg you will have a very high FG. which is gonna be sweet, which you mentioned you dislike.

go for 150-152

Back