Dropped a rubber stopper into my secondary...is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
While I was pushing in the stopper to cap up a batch of brown ale into my secondary, I accidentally pushed the rubber stopper into the carboy. From a sanitation standpoint, would it be a problem to just leave it in the current carboy, or should I rack to a different one?

A couple of data points:
* According to my SG calcs, the mix is approximately 5.6% ABV going into the secondary.
* I had soaked the stopper in some one-step before attempting to cap the secondary.

Follow-up question: If it -is- okay from a sanitation standpoint, do you think it would have any effect on taste?

Thanks!

I think your ok, for flavor and sanitation. I dont think it will effect the flavor much at all if it does. That kinda funny how you mention that because just recently I accidently dropped a thermometer into an 18 gallon batch of australian lager and couldnt get it out any other way but to reach my arm into 100 degree F wort. I thought I was screwed from the get go and that the beer would be for sure infected. I sanitized my arm as best as possible, but its still a arm. Anyways I didnt have one skunked bottle. You should be fine.

That's why I use these buggers now.

carboy-bungs.jpg

I got sick of fishing the rubber bungs out of the carboys. These are pretty much impossible to push in on accident.

Back