SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good. Since I don't know what I am doing I am flexible! :mug:
So, C40 and C60, 1/3 each.

I can see myself giving a lot of beer away to friends after the order comes in!

You won't regret it (at least most of us haven't). Your pipeline will start to bulge!

I don't buy much commercial beer because I feel guilty though. haha Just a 6er or a single bottle to try and then decide if I want to clone it.

kzhusker - no sweat - just let me know if/when you change your mind. I will leave it as is.

Since this one is taking a while the next one probably will too.
I will add another bag to my order to help get the total up.

Please add a bag of Maris Otter for me.
BD-MOPA x 1

Thanks

Since this one is taking a while the next one probably will too.
I will add another bag to my order to help get the total up.

Please add a bag of Maris Otter for me.
BD-MOPA x 1

Thanks

I have you down Dan.

yup, I would say stock up if you need (everyone) because I would guess the next grain buy won't happen for quite a while. I would expect at least 3 months + the closing date of this one, if not more (Nov ish +).

Orders before have opened and been delivered well within 3 weeks previously. Now we are at 4 weeks and just over half way there!

Grain buy 1 - 2/17 Start - 3/4 Delivered (15days)

Grain buy 2 - 3/9 Start - 3/25 Delivered (16days)

Grain buy 3 - 4/27 Start - 5/17 Delivered (20days)

Grain buy 4 - 6/30 Start - PENDING (29 and counting)

I think we will close this in a few weeks, no more than a month (I hope!).

Without further adieu...

TwoGunz BD-MOPA x 1
TwoGunz BD-MUNH x 1
TwoGunz CM-2ROW x 1

BD-RSTB - 1/3 (TwoGunz) - Roasted barley needs 2
TF-FLBR - 1/2 (TwoGunz) - Flaked barley needs 1

And I'll also get in on the Aromatic split

Been watching this for a while. Looks like your getting close.
Put me down for:

CM-2ROWx1
BD-MOPA x 1

Thanks

Ok guys - I have updated everything on post #2. We are at 36 bags total, so just 6 more to go before closing. Take a second and check out the uncompleted splits section if you are interested in some specialty malts. Here are the current splits:

REQUESTED SPLITS:
1. GW-C15 - 1/3 (kzhusker, copyright1997) - Needs 1
2. BZ-ARO - aromatic malt - 1/4 (CidahMastah, copyright, TwoGunz) - Needs 1
3. GW-C40 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
4. GW C60 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
5. BD-RSTB - Roasted barley 1/3 (TwoGunz) - Needs 2

Just an FYI:

Here are the current rough estimates so far. These include shipping, but are a little high because shipping was divided up planning on 42 bags, and we only have 36 bags so far.

CidahMastah__________$84.49
Kzhusker__________$101.72
Zeepo__________$105.26
Dannschuler__________$157.52
Bierhause15__________$141.71
Jhenderson27__________$24.58
Gergelgat__________$94.51
ScottishPete__________$125.28
Captn731__________$31.72
Copyright1997__________$90.88
Zeno27__________$85.41
TwoGunz__________$146.97
CBK__________$72.56

I have a friend that is interested in 1 bag each of Munich, Vienna, Wheat, and Pils. I'm still waiting to see what maltster he wants... so if the buy manages to close by then, no worries. If you absolutely need the bags to close the grain buy, let me know.

I have a friend that is interested in 1 bag each of Munich, Vienna, Wheat, and Pils. I'm still waiting to see what maltster he wants... so if the buy manages to close by then, no worries. If you absolutely need the bags to close the grain buy, let me know.

very cool - let me know when he sorts out the maltster - looks like we have 36 bags so we will still need 2 more after his order. But that means we are darn close.

We can always hit up those splits to close us out as needed.

Dan is in the lead!!

Just a heads up - just received a couple more bags in so we are at 38 bags total!

If you are holding out on a split you better act, because it looks like bierhaus' buddy will be grabbing 4 bags of malt and closing the order soon.

Total: 38 bags

Ugh, I have to change my order slightly as I have a bunch of Bairds MO that I still need to get through (2x sacks!).

Can I get a sack of TF-GPRM (Golden Promise) in place of the Bairds MO.

My total order would now look like:

TF-GPRM x 1
CM-2ROW x 1
TF-MOPA x 1

1/3 BD-VIEN
1/3 BD-MUNH

Thanks!

bierhaus15 - no problem, I updated.

I heard they were planning to stop making golden promise, if they are out what would you like to substitute?

cidah, how are your hop plants doing, i almost have full cones now... :) on my cascade, and my chinook are 1/2 way there.

cidah, how are your hop plants doing, i almost have full cones now... :) on my cascade, and my chinook are 1/2 way there.

Yeah I have cones as well, they look really cool. I was surprised to see them on both my chinook plants actually because I had thought they weren't going to produce this year. However the cascade plant it kicking arse with tons of cones on them.

Now I still need to figure out how I am going to string them up next year and replant! Still haven't decided on how I want to arrange them so they look cool, and produce....

I heard they were planning to stop making golden promise, if they are out what would you like to substitute?

If they are indeed out of Golden Promise at order time, I'll take a bag of Bairds MO as a substitute - though I really hope they still have GP in stock!

Thanks.

Cidah-
Sent you an message, didn't see my name on the list, if the buy is still open I'll take a bag of canadian 2-row and a bag of TF-MO. Thanks.

Hey Chrisp I have you on (your name is on the bottom of the full sack list) - check post #2

38 bags, so 4 left before closing

Cidah, you can put me down for another bag of 2-row, (2 total). Might as well build up some more inventory and move this a bit closer.

Alright, I talked to a brewing friend and he is interested in the group buy. Could you add one sack of CM-2ROW to my order? Thanks.

hey cidah, i have a question for you...

i was looking to do a hard cider this year... i was wondering if you have a recipe you would not mind giving out.. im looking for a dry amber style made with fresh cider that i would get for a local orchard around here.

hey cidah, i have a question for you...

i was looking to do a hard cider this year... i was wondering if you have a recipe you would not mind giving out.. im looking for a dry amber style made with fresh cider that i would get for a local orchard around here.

I second this. Give up the goods. Fall is coming.

put me down for 1 FB-PALE (doing a whole bunch of English and Belgium styles coming up)

going to try the Westvleteren 12

jhenderson27 said:
Hey brewwin you need to specify the type. The thomas fawcett is so worth the extra few bucks.

What do you find the difference to be vs. Baird's? Never tried them, so I'm curious.

What do you find the difference to be vs. Baird's? Never tried them, so I'm curious.

Both are good quality Maris Otters. Bairds is a bit more neutral in biscuit character than the Fawcett, though it produces a slightly sweeter wort. I like Bairds for beers with more specialty malts where the base malt character isn't going to be the main focus of the beer and hoppy american styles. I like Thomas Fawcett for bitters, pale ales, english IPA, golden ale, and any style where you are looking for that rich base malt character. Crisp is another good MO. Muntons is 'ok'. Also, TF is floor malted, whereas Bairds is not.

I bought a full bag of the thomas fawcett last time. Its great. I even used it in a porter and it really changed the character of the beer. Its your choice but either that or bairds are good. Personally tf though.

Thanks. Cidah, if it's not too much trouble, can I sub TF-MOPA for my BD-MOPA? If not, no worries.

Cidah, I would also like to modify my order and get us to 42 bags.

I would like to replace one of my cm-2rows with a tf-mopa.

I would like to finish out the gw-c15 split ( I will take 2/3rds),

Finally, I will take a Vienna. Is bd-vien the best choice? (I will go for whatever you suggest.)

I think that gets us to 42?

(I've been looking at various recipes and decided the marris otter and Vienna would be great to have.)

ha didn't see they had a catalog...oops...
so count me in for a sack of thomas fawcett and a sack of the CM-RYEM canadian rye malt

Alright guys - sorry for the delay I was out of town on vacation and just got back.

We were over on the total bag amount, so keep the orders coming in and if we get enough we can double to the order.

I need to confirm a few things, but check the order below so far and let me know if something is wrong, there was a lot of flip flopping so I hope I grabbed it all.

BrewWein/Drmark - you know you have to pick up the grain locally in Syracuse NY area right? Just noticed brewein's OR location and wanted to be sure you both knew how this worked.

bierhaus - are there still bags coming from your neck of the woods that you know of?

I am trying to assess what is left out there for potential orders. (i.e. everyone keep posting your interest)

Status
Total Bags = 42

kzhusker CM-2ROW x 2
zeepo CM-2ROW x 1
zeepo BD-MOPA x 1
DannSchuler CM-2ROW x 2
Bierhaus15 CM-2ROW x 1
Bierhaus15 TF-GPRM x 1
Bierhaus15 TF-MOPA x 1
gerglegat CM-2ROW x 2
gerglegat CM-SPIL x 1
ScottishPete CM-2ROW x 4
Captn731 CM-2ROW x 1
CidahMastah GP-FLWHT x 1
copyright1997 CM-2ROW x 1
copyright1997 tf-mopa x 1
zeno27 TF-MOPA x 1
zeno27 CM-SPIL x 1
zeno27 CM-2ROW x 1
DannSchuler BD-MOPA x 1
TwoGunz BD-MOPA x 1
TwoGunz BD-MUNH x 1
TwoGunz CM-2ROW x 2
CBK CM-2ROW x 1
CBK TF-MOPA x 1
Chrisp522 x 1 TF-MOPA
Chrisp522 x 1 CM-2ROW
BrewWein x 1 TF-MOPA
rustbucket x 1 FB-PALE

Completed Splits:
1. CM-WHET - 1/2 (zeepo, DannSchuler)
2. BD-VIEN - 1/3 (DannSchuler, Bierhaus15, kzhusker)
3. BD-MUNH - 1/3 (DannSchuler, Bierhaus15, kzhusker)
4. GP-FLOAT - 1/3 (CidahMastah, DannSchuler, jhenderson27)
5. FB-CAMB (Biscuit or Victory Malt) - 1/3 (Cidahmastah, twogunz, kzhusker)
6. CM-SPIL - 1/2 (zeepo, copyright1997)
7. BD-MUNH - 1/3 (jhenderson27, copyright1997, zeno27)
8. TF-FLBR - Flaked barley - 1/2 (TwoGunz, CidahMastah)

Unfinished Business

copyright1997 BD-Vien x 1
BrewWein CM-RYEM x 1
drmark50 few sacks and splits

1. GW-C15 - 1/3 (kzhusker 1/3, copyright1997 2/3)

REQUESTED SPLITS:

1. BZ-ARO - aromatic malt - 1/4 (CidahMastah, copyright, TwoGunz) - Needs 1
2. GW-C40 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
3. GW C60 - 1/3 (copyright1997) - Needs 2
4. BD-RSTB - Roasted barley 1/3 (TwoGunz) - Needs 2

Back