Black IPA/ Cascadian Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
So one of the few Brew TV episodes I have watched was on the Black IPA/Cascadian Dark style.

I have recently fallen in love with Stone's Subliminally Self Righteous , and want to know if anyone has had any other Black IPA's/Cascadian darks they can recommend...

As well as a good recipe for one too.

Thanks!

Trout Hop Black IPA from Grand Teton Brewing is quite delicious, I might even like it better than Srone's, FWIW, I think Stone calls their Sublimely Self-Righteous a "black bitter" which is probably just a play on an english black IPA.

Either way Trout Hop is worhty of the title Balck IPA, one of the best I have had.

I have yet to try Abita's black IPA, but I have heard good things about it, regardless I definitely suggest giving Trout Hop a taste.

I made the recipe fromthe Brewing TV episode you mentioned, however I totally effed the water profile, I was going for Mosher's IPA with a reduction in the SO4, however, I somehow managed to add only half of the required brewing salts to my water. It turned out pretty good, but I am curious as to how it would have tasted given everything went off without a hitch. I also had higher than expected attenuation with the Pacman yeast, so it ended up being a ABV9% beer, still tasty, very slight alcohol at the very finish on the palette, but extremely drinkable. I actually had a bomber last night, good stuff. Decent recipe.

I think Oakshire Brewery's O'Dark 30 is a very good CDIPA. Don't know how far out of Oregon you can get it though.

Full Sail Bump In the Night Cascadian Dark Ale

full-sail-bump-in-the-night.png

Hopworks Urban Brewery's Secession Cascadian Dark Ale from Portland, OR is my favorite.

Brewdog's Bashah collaborative they made with Stone is a Belgian-yeast Black IPA. Absolutely incredible. I think I had to drop like $12 for a 12 ounce bottle, though.

I'd agree with the Ugly. I have a growler of it in my fridge. Outstanding example. Better than the Sublimely Self Righteous or the one from Deschutes in my humble estimation.

Laughing Dog's Dogzilla made me fall in love with the style, and HUB's Secession is probably the best I've had so far.

As for recipes, Zymurgy had a couple of good ones this fall. I also like mine a lot. Here it is if you want to try it:

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 31.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.59 %
1.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 9.80 %
1.00 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.25 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops
1.20 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Rogue pacman (Wyeast #1764) [Starter 2000ml Yeast-Ale

Mash @152, make a nice starter, pacman gets me down to about 1.013 on this one.
Also, you may need to adjust the amount of base malt depending on your efficiency.

I just finished a Heavy Seas Black Cannon while waiting for my wing order. Grab one if you see it.

Oh Brewdog Bashah is amazing. Costs a small fortune for a 12oz but so damn good.

You guys rule! Thanks for all the input. The recipe is much appreciated, now I just need to find out how to convert it to extract. :)

For xtract I'd replace the 2row and wheat with 5.5lbs pale lme, 1.5lbs wheat lme and .5lbs white sugar. I'd keep all the specialty grains and steep them. If your only doing a partial boil either adjust the bittering addition to get the proper ibu's or add 1/2 the fermentables late in the boil (assuming 1/2 boil) in order to keep the same utilization.

Earlier last summer, both Zymurgy and BYO had a recipe for Turmoil CDA from Barley Browns Brewpub. It won the gold at GABF last year for the new Black IPA category. Not sold in bottles, but the recipe should get you very close to this amazing beer.

I agree with many of the above regarding some of the other beers. Trout Hop, Sublimely Self Righteous, Bump in the Night, Hop in the Dark, and Back in Black are all good.

On the whole I'm not a huge fan of this style. I was lucky and got to try the Stone Sublime at a beer tasting with a Stone rep at it. He brought it in for us to taste before it was released anywhere, so it was definitely fresh. I thought it was just kind of okay. It's a neat concept, but didn't really do much for me.

However 512 Brewing Co. out of Austin just started making one, I tried it on tap at the Austin Draught House. It was good. But not great.

I haven't had too many commercial BIPA/CDA/ADAs but I knew I had to brew one. I threw a pound of midnight wheat in my house IPA recipe and it came out pretty tasty. It took Best of Show at the Las Vegas Winterfest Homebrew comp so a couple of judges thought it was pretty good too. :)

My local would have any left on the shelves if I saw it for that price! :tank:

What is funny is it is a chain of costco sized liquor stores here. They all sell them for $10.99 each... was at this particular location which I've never been, and saw that price. Was going to buy, but couldn't even at $4 justify it at this time (spent $150 on beer already :cross:)

Laughing Dog - Dogzilla.........flat out love it. It is amazing. I just brewed my own BIPA using my homegrown cascades for dry hopping.......kegging this weekend and can't wait!!!!!!

Deschuttes Hop in the Dark
Widmer's Black IPA (last year's release, they are supposed to be selling it year round at some point.)

Fell in love with Sublimely the first time I tried it - a local wine bar had it on tap (SWMBO's wine habit can be helpful ;)). I have brewed two batches of AHS' Cascadian Dark Ale and it is somewhat in the neighborhood but not as hopped up. Next time I will be tweaking the recipe to get a little more hoppiness into it.

+1 on the Deshutes hop in the dark. CASCADIAN DARK ALE!!!!! C'mon ;)

YES, I am biased, but also "Black India Plale ale" makes no sense whatsoever.

as long as we're being politicly correct, i think it sould be India African American Ale

Back