Yeast Cloning..Unfiltered Commercial Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pianoman52

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good database or list of semi-available commercial brews that are unfiltered?

I enjoy getting my yeast from these existing beers and culturing them for a few days before I pitch. Had a lot of success with Sierra Nevada of course and a few Belgians but just wondering what else is out there, especially on the darker end.

Thanks

I cant actually answer your question but I do know that many breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition. So you may be able to harvest the yeast used to carb but its probably not the yeast used for fermentation and is just a generic yeast that has little to do with the flavor of the beer.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I cant actually answer your question but I do know that many breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition. So you may be able to harvest the yeast used to carb but its probably not the yeast used for fermentation and is just a generic yeast that has little to do with the flavor of the beer.

I may be wrong, but I think a lot of Belgians are carbed with their fermentation yeast, and many of them are unfiltered. Certainly the Trappists.

I was going to mention something like that. Yes many are carbed with the same yeast used for fermentation but some are not. Something to watch out for though.

The Boulevard Brewing company out of Kansas City makes fine beers and they are all unfiltered. I'm having trouble thinking of dark beers they make, you might try Lunar. It tastes exactly like Mae's from Brussels. Boulevard is available everywhere in the midwest, I dont know about the coasts. Good Luck!

i got some pacman yeast from a rouge brutal bitter, i think they use the same yeast in the shakespear stout as well.

i've seen that list before. it's very incomplete and i know for a fact the anchor liberty uses an ale yeast. all their beers use the exact same ale yeast (except the steam beer, which uses a lager yeast that works well at 60F)

i've heard that unibroue uses a different yeast for bottle conditioning but that it still works well for belgian-style brews. that's the only one i've really wanted to try.

there are so many yeasts available out there...you may wish to use chart to just purchase the similar strain: http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

not dissing yeast harvesting at all, just think it's a good link :)

Back