Carbing with DME vs corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious as to what the difference would be to carb with dme vs sugar. Is there a big taste difference?

Also, I have a batch of brown ale (I will have to check the final gravity) that is down to about 4 gallons. Is there a way I could bump this up to 5 when I keg this? I want to carb this naturally....

drunde77 said:
Hello, I am curious as to what the difference would be to carb with dme vs sugar. Is there a big taste difference?

Also, I have a batch of brown ale (I will have to check the final gravity) that is down to about 4 gallons. Is there a way I could bump this up to 5 when I keg this? I want to carb this naturally....

Some people report that priming with DME provides a fuller, creamier beer with a denser head but keep in mind you need more to prime and because of the more complex sugar chains carbonation time increase quite a bit.

As to your second question, if you add water to the finished beer you will dilute it and water it down-IMO you enjoy your 4 gallons:)

Back