Beer tastes a little tangy/sharp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernowsims

Reaction score
Hi
I have just done a 'Make Your Own' homebrew kit with 10 day primary fermentation and 10 days secondary. I have just transferred to a cool dark place but decided to try a half filled bottle as it had already cleared. The taste was OK but was a bit sharp/tangy....my wife said it tasted a bit like beer with pipe cleaner in it! Have I done something wrong or will the taste improve if I leave it for a few more weeks?
Thanks
Chris

Its not ready yet. Let it sit for 3 weeks at ~70 then refrigerate one and then try it.

Although I don't know about the pipe cleaner thing lol that might not be normal. Let it sit anyway and report back here if you taste something off still.

Sometimes a "solventy" type flavor (if that's what pipe cleaner is :D) can come from too-high fermentation temperatures. If the beer got above about 72 degrees, that can happen. But I'd let it sit and carb up first to see if that goes away before worrying too much about it right now.

It can improve some when left to condition in the bottles for 3-4 weks. But leaving the beer in primary for 3-7 days after FG is reached will give the yeast time to clean up off flavors & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle. The beer will be better,especially when you kep temps in check.

Sig.jpg

lol give it more time ;)

Back