blow-off tube mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
pitched a starter with what was dead yeast. made another starter and pitched 72 hours later. the beer took off pretty quick. the growler that was filled with sanitizer from the blow-off tube is now filled with yeast/trub. the tube didnt clog, but it looks as though fermentation is so vigorous that c02 burned small parts of the tubing? no joke, there are a few black rings on the tubing near the growler. the beer itself looks strange as well. looks like some hazy/white stuff is stuck to the side of the carboy? never seen this, even during vigorous fermentations. i guess my question is did my beer suffer from waiting 72 hours to pitch another starter? did the initial dead yeast starter act as nutrient for the healthy starter during fermentation? anyone ever see the crazy black burn marks on a blow-off tube or the weird hazy stuff stuck to the side of the carboy (not krausen)? should i change the blow-off tube and growler with sanitzer out or should a wait till i keg? thanks and cheers in advance

Can't tell much without pictures. What you see in the carboy may be yeast and sediment clinging to the sides. I use a Better Bottle which has ridges inside and often get yeast settling on the top sides of the ridges.

The krausen in the catch bottle can get pretty gross after a few weeks so there is nothing wrong with cleaning it out when needed.

I've never seen any evidence of burning in my tubing. I doubt co2 can do anything like that.

its too hard to get a good picture shot of the fermenter in place of my chest freezer. i can best describe the fermenter to look hazy/white in some spots. like active yeast is partially stuck to the side of the carboy or something. its weird never seen it before. here is a shot of the blow-off tube that looks burned. the growler that was filled with sanitizer is now almost full of krausen/yeast.

blow off.jpg

I would wait till you rack to secondary or whatever you decide to do and take the opportunity to clean the blow-off tube. I'm guessing you might find that it isn't really burnt. Only one way to find out though.

That just looks like dried krausen. I get it in my blow off with most of the beers I brew, more so on my bigger beers. And the clumps are probably just yeast. They tend to float around like that after high krausen. I'd let it ride out in the primary until your ready to bottle and just soak the blow off tube in some oxyclean before you use it again.

I just posted a similar question and got the same response. "Just let the yeast continue to party and once fermentation dies down consider cleaning up the tube and growler then or put sanitized airlock on for the remainder."

Back