Filter screen prior to counterflow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
Ok, I'm done brewing until I figure this out. I am using keggles for my kettles and have dip tubes to get the wort from the bottom so I dont loose much during pumping. Ive tried installing a filter screen from my local homebrew store but it quickly got clogged and i had to remove the dip tube so i lost a bit of wort from my boil kettle. midwest has filter screens that could attach to the ball valve but they arent curved so i would have the same problem of loosing a gallon or so off the bottom. I hate the hop bag solution because there is still the (likely) chance of misc particles going through the counterflow and into my fermenter, and the one time i used a hop bag it was a pain.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Is the issue that the chiller is getting clogged or you just don't want the particles in the fermenter?

i suppose i need to start with my immediate and reoccurring problem: the chiller is getting clogged.

I have the same problem with my plate chiller. First thing I did was go to lowes and get a couple of their 5 gallon paint strainer bags to filter the wort from the mash tun into the kettle. Even with a double vorlauf I was getting some grain in the kettle. Filtering that out helped a ton.

After that I started using the same bags to hold the hops. I use a piece of wire to hold it out of the wort, but I've heard a hop spider works just the same way. The mesh on the strainer bags is pretty fine so it really keeps the particles contained.

If I wanted to keep everything out of the fermenter, I'd probably fit a bag over the hole in the carboy and run everything thru that as I was chilling. Anything else seems like it would get clogged every 5 seconds.

Back