Picnic Tap in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a question. I have a two faucet kegerator (from the beverage factory website) in my apartment. I would love to have a third tap in my place and was thinking that I can fit a third corny keg in my kegerator but don't want to deal with drilling a new hole and putting a new tower on and whatnot.

I was wondering if I could hookup a picnic tap to it and leave that connected? It would be connected for a few months probably, but I was just wondering if I'm actually able to do this without any worries of it coming undone?

As always thanks for the help! Happy Drinking!

All three of my Cornys are in a fridge with picnic taps attached. I haven't had any problems and I'm too cheap to buy actual faucets. I'm not sure if that answers your question though.

All three of my Cornys are in a fridge with picnic taps attached. I haven't had any problems and I'm too cheap to buy actual faucets. I'm not sure if that answers your question though.

Don't sell yourself short: that totally answered his question :D

Cheers!

Before I switched to tap handles I briefly used picnic taps and just left them attached to the kegs and in the freezer with no issues other than I accidentally closed the lid on the tap handle unknowingly one time and drained out five gallons of beer into the bottom of the freezer...

Other than that stupidity they worked fine.

Yeah, a picnic tap is fine.

That said, adding a third tap is FAR easier than you'd think. As long as you have a 3" diameter tower (and you most likely do), you can add a third tap below and between the first two pretty easily. You don't even need a hole saw. With some patience, you can manage with a Dremel!

Here's my old kegerator...

DSCF0006.JPG

The two top taps were already there. I added the bottom one with a Dremel. Easy as pie, although getting your fingers or tools in there to fit the nut on the backside of the shank for the bottom tap is a bit of a PITA. But all told, it's an easy job.

Thanks for the help guys. I might try and tackle a third tap down the road, but for now I think a picnic tap will do.

You guys do realize that you could get complete faucet combo kits for like 40 bucks a tap, right?

lol cheapass (no offense intended)

nickmv said:
You guys do realize that you could get complete faucet combo kits for like 40 bucks a tap, right?

No offense taken. It was funny. But even at $40, that's $160 for the entire setup. I got two picnic taps on amazon for $5, and the hose is cheap. So my cheapass can open the fridge and pour beer like a brokeass.

I just had an issue with my tap. I guess I didn't have it screwed onto the QD quite tight enough. After filling a few pints and twisting the hose around a bit, the fitting came undone slightly and I developed a slow gas leak and a small trickle of beer. By the time I noticed, there was a decent size puddle of beer in my fridge and all the co2 had escaped. This was after 10 days of carbing. Now it appears to be a flat keg.

...just read that in another thread. Can't you just throw a hose clamp on it, hook up the gas, and it'll all be ok in week or so?

Edit for stupid iPhone autocorrect.

I have 4 faucets and one picnic (cobra) tap in use on my keg fridge. The cobra is the secret stash that I don't share with just anyone. I have heard you shouldn't force carb with the cobra attached. Be careful how you handle the tap, also. Don't hang it by the thumb lever

No offense taken. It was funny. But even at $40, that's $160 for the entire setup. I got two picnic taps on amazon for $5, and the hose is cheap. So my cheapass can open the fridge and pour beer like a brokeass.

So I'm not following here...

1) You have a dual-tap kegerator. I assume this already has a tower with 2 taps?
2) If you already have a tower with 2 taps, it is most likely *already* a 3" diameter tower.
3) Thus, you can add a third faucet to the tower for ~$50 (including faucet, "shank", tubing and QD).

Not sure where the $160 came from.

So I'm not following here...

1) You have a dual-tap kegerator. I assume this already has a tower with 2 taps?
2) If you already have a tower with 2 taps, it is most likely *already* a 3" diameter tower.
3) Thus, you can add a third faucet to the tower for ~$50 (including faucet, "shank", tubing and QD).

Not sure where the $160 came from.

He said that all his cornies (3 I believe) were on picnic taps, so no, I don't believe he has any existing faucets.

nickmv said:
He said that all his cornies (3 I believe) were on picnic taps, so no, I don't believe he has any existing faucets.

Correct. It's just a fridge with three cornies in it. All on picnic taps.

i wouldn't leave it attached - drained a gallon+ of a keg once when the tap fell down and got slightly pushed open - read plenty of other horror stories about it as well, it's easy to connect/disconnect when you need it IMO

Ok, I can give you my shipping address and you can send me 4 Stainless perlicks with stainless shanks, since 40 bucks a tap is no big deal for you.

Back