time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20110802_195553.jpg

I've gone before, but I'll take over anyway, since I am so selfish.

Actually... this should be another quick one.

The photo is a little bit dark...but I think it is still pretty obvious what it is.

Maybe it isn't as obvious as I thought... I guess I should've used malt that is SRM 3 instead of SRM 2.

beer10.jpg

The most familiar "example" of this style, for most people, is probably a beer brewed on the West coast that actually doesn't really fit the style all that well.

My dog is NOT a hint :D

Nope... that beer you're thinking of pretty much DEFINES the style. I almost used that exact one instead of this, though.

I'll give another hint for tonight:

The commercial beer I mentioned which is a poor example of the style might be brewed in America, and the label might give the impression it's from Mexico, but the style is definitely European.

Being that I live in CA I shouldn't be so stumped by this one... the only beers I can think of that have mexican labels are mexican beers, Modelo, Dos Equis, Pacifico, etc. Plus, here at least we aren't so much into brewing traditional styles, most of the micros are doing over the top beers and id say 90% of them are IPAs. There is Oregon, but I haven't had many Oregon microbrews. New clue plz

The beer I'm referring to IS from Oregon.

There's your clue hahaha

This is an extremely well-known brew though. The label itself isn't Mexican so much as the image on it is definitely influenced by a Mexican tradition.

Holy crap, somehow SWMBO just came up with the only answer I feel could fit.

Commercial example is Dead Guy, so it's a maibock.

It's handy that SWMBO is half-Hispanic. She said first thing that came to her mind was the Dia de los Muertos skeletons.

Back