kenmore fridge throwing gfci

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckels

Reaction score
So my converted Kenmore kegerator took a dump after 6 months and started throwing my GFCI in my garage. Here's my analysis thus far:

1. Tried plugging into a 20a GFCI hooked directly to the panel. Tripped the gfci.
2. Plugged the fridge into a 15a arc fault outlet. Tripped the arc fault breaker.
3. Plugged the fridge into an unprotected 15a circuit. Did NOT trip the breaker. The fridge light came on so I know it's getting power. Compressor would not kick in.
4. Tapped the compressor with a rubber mallet in case it was siezed. Still did not start.
5. Disconnected the starter relay and read the ohms. The sum of the two non-neutral/neutral pins equaled that of touching the two non-neutral pins. 13.5 or so.

So, at this point I think it's the starter relay but would a bad starter relay trip the GFCI? Is there a way the average Joe can test the relay (ie bypass the relay and start the compressor)?

Anybody know of an alternate relay part numer to WR07K0005 that is still available. I didn't have any luck using google.

You can test a relay by taking a power cord and hooking it to the coil side of the relay. You should then have the other side closing and allowing power through.

But really you should be able to test this inside the unit anyway. Why are you trying to ohm it out. Test your voltage through the relay not the ohm rating. A relay is a powered switch in a sense, its either on or off according to whether the coil is energized.

Don't forget, you also have a thermostat and capacitor in there. Find where the voltage is going in but not out. That is most likely your problem.

Thanks guys. I ohmed out the compressor to try to rule out that the compressor windings weren't shorted. With the test I did it shows they are good yet. Or at least that's what the article I read online by an appliance repair man said. They also said they'll bypass the relay and start the compressor manually to prove the compressor is good.

The compressor does not hum or attempt to kick on when plugged in.

just in case others run into a similar problem...I did some trouble shooting and the issue stemmed back to a bad defrost timer. compressor and relays were fine

Just as a word of caution also. I would never plug a fridge or freezer into a GFCI outlet. I can't tell you how many service calls I've been on where someone has lost a ton of deer meat because the CFCI recept in the garage tripped. They aren't made to take a load from a compressor or motor. That's why sump pumps in a basement get a single (non-gfci recept) by code.

To add to that, it's code (at least in my neck of the woods) to have all garage and exterior outlets protected by a gfci receptacle. With that said, after this mishap (I did lose a few pounds of steaks but only a gallon of kegged homebrew) I decided to say screw code and swapped out the gfci for a standard receptacle. I may end up moving it down the line so that at least the rest of them on the chain are protected...

Well code allows you to have a 'dedicated' single receptacle for sump pumps in the basement and for things like air compressors in your garage. But in lieu of that...yes, screw the code. lol

Back