Strawberry Mead Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJay

Reaction score
I started a 3 gallon batch on 5/20/11 using:

- 11 lbs wildflower
- 3 lbs fresh strawberries in primary (capped) and will add 4 lbs more in secondary
- 2 Gallons Spring Water
- 1 pk Lalvin D47
- stag nutrients
- pectic enzyme

OG was 1.130 and now a little over 2 weeks into it (6/5/11) the SG is 1.004. I wanted a final gravity around 1.015. There a little activity in the airlock but it is minimal (one bubble every few minutes). I'm wondering if I should rack to secondary and add the remaining strawberries or should I wait? I was also wondering if I should go ahead and stabilize and then add the strawberries for taste and sweetness?

Strawberry does not impart much flavor in ANY beverage. And in my experience with melomels, I doubt you will have any flavor there right now. It sounds like your yeast is done. You could back sweeten with your extra berries, but I would sample first. As I said, I doubt those berries will add much noticeable flavor, especially sweetness. Good luck!

Back