Can incense ruin a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ρ®ïMσ

Reaction score
I started a 2500mL starter for the 10gal I'm doing this Monday a couple days back. The day after I pitched the starter I burned an incense in my living room (same room starter and stir plate are set up in). I do not use an airlock w my starters, just sanitized foil for oxygen exchange. I plan on crash chilling, pouring off wort, and pitching yeast only. Is it possible that I could be compromising the flavor of my beer by pitching the yeast? I fear that burning the incense in the same room couldve introduced some flovors into the starter via the oxygen. Opinions? I searched the forums and I did see a post that mentioned something about a neighbor burning incense, but didnt address the concern as to whether or not it could jeopardize the goods.

Our first 40 batches or so were made at our brew buddy's house. He always had incense burning and it never did anything to our beer.

Well, I normally just burn for a few minutes and put out, but last night I got home from work and my roommate had burned an entire one. The room was a little smokey. The incense is in my living room and the stirplate and starter are in my dining room about 12' away, but they open up into each other so its essentially the same room. Like I said, I have sanitized foil over the top and I also have a piece overlapping coming from the bottom up to protect from light. I'm not going to burn anymore, and I did hope all the CO2 being expelled would've kept the oxygen coming in minimal. I haven't brewed in a year and a half and I would hate for the batch to turn out tasting perfumey. Thanks for your insight

Our first 40 batches or so were made at our brew buddy's house. He always had incense burning and it never did anything to our beer.

I wouldn't be as alarmed if it was something that had an airlock on it, but since oxygen moves freely w/ the foil do you think it could be a problem?

Back