Need Homebrewtalk Members help on ordering new kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Todd with Kegconnection. We did a listing late last week mentioning we had kegs back in stock in 2.5 and 5 gallon. We also did an announcement saying that we were now carrying 5 gallon kegs with rubber tops. I was a little surprised how well these sold over the weekend. We did not order a large quantity of the rubber top kegs because frankly I did not think people would be willing to pay more for them. We also did not order any 3 gallon kegs because the 2.5 gallon were selling so well, but now we are out of the 3 gallon kegs. So here is my question. IF you were in the market for a new keg which kegs would you prefer?

5 gallon keg with metal strap handle

5 Gallon keg with rubber top ($13.50 more)

3 Gallon Keg

2.5 Gallon keg

All feedback is greatly appreciated. We are going to order another container of kegs very soon and I am worried that our "Mix" may not be correct. These take about 2 to 3 months to arrive, so pre-planning is very important.
Thanks,
Todd

I would prefer the 3 gallon and 5 gallon keg with metal strap handle. I own both types of the 5 gallon kegs and I don't see the benifit of the rubber top. Especially when the rubber tops start falling apart.

I see that the replies are all across the board here. I would go for the 5 gal w/metal strap, but would also take a rubber top one also. The price difference is really not a issue as much as availability would be. Unfortunately, when I need one, I need it soon.

Kurt

I would prefer the 3 gallon and 5 gallon keg with metal strap handle. I own both types of the 5 gallon kegs and I don't see the benifit of the rubber top. Especially when the rubber tops start falling apart.

This was my thought originally and the reason I have never stocked the more expensive rubber handled tops. The reason soda companies used the rubber handle top kegs was because they were easier to stack, but I was not sure why homebrewers would pay extra for them. If anyone has reasons I would love to hear them. I am probably missing something here and need an education! Also, why do people want 3 gallon kegs? One person mentioned he is doing three gallon batches and that makes perfect sense, but most batches are 5 gallons and if you split them you would put 2.5 gallons in each (again this is my thought process, that does not mean it is correct) So if you prefer 3 gallon kegs, why is that? Sorry all the questions, but I am just trying to understand the market better so we can serve you better?
Todd

5 gallon rubber top and 2.5 gallon (rubber top if you had). I have to stack the kegs where I keep my spares. Price difference is close enough that it is negligible.

2.5g is needed because a 3 gallon doesn't fit on the compressor hump in my keezer.

I have a few 3 gallon better bottles for smaller batches, so 3 gallon would be good, but could use the 2.5 just as easy and cut down on the size of the batch. Most of the 3 gallon batches I do 3.25 gallons, primary in a 5 gallon and seconday in the 3.

Probably pick up some smaller kegs this fall, after realizing last winter just how long it takes to drink 5 gallons of some of my bigger beers, probalby going to do more small batches.

Also I find the rubber tops easier for moving kegs around, but that probably goes back to moving soad kegs in high school

I haven't started kegging yet (price point to start kegging is the main reason). Once I do start though, I would be getting 3 gallon kegs. Most of my batches are 5.5 to 6 gallons and trying to stuff that into a 5 gallons keg just wouldn't work.

Mouse

I have the 5 gal metal-strap kegs. That said... I think one of the only advantages, of having the rubber top kegs, would be having a slightly easier time lowering the keg, straight down, into a crowded chest freezer. Thats just my setup though, a small haier 7.1 cu.ft. 4 keg keezer.

This was my thought originally and the reason I have never stocked the more expensive rubber handled tops. The reason soda companies used the rubber handle top kegs was because they were easier to stack, but I was not sure why homebrewers would pay extra for them. If anyone has reasons I would love to hear them. I am probably missing something here and need an education! Also, why do people want 3 gallon kegs? One person mentioned he is doing three gallon batches and that makes perfect sense, but most batches are 5 gallons and if you split them you would put 2.5 gallons in each (again this is my thought process, that does not mean it is correct) So if you prefer 3 gallon kegs, why is that? Sorry all the questions, but I am just trying to understand the market better so we can serve you better?
Todd

Ha... I currently have a bunch of emptly kegs stored in the corner my basement. The 1 handle kegs are stacked on top of the 2 handle kegs because it doesn't work the other way around. I still like the one handle ones more for the reasons I already stated and I wouldn't pay more for 2 handle ones. I'd trade my 2 handles kegs for 1 handle kegs any day. But beggers can't be choosers. If I need a keg, I'm buying what's availible.

For 2.5g vs 3g:

1. I can put 2.5g in a 3g keg, but I can't put 3g in a 2.5g keg.

2. Smaller batches: Sometimes I just make < 5 gallons and I'd rather have 3 gallons than 2.5. 3 gallon carboys go great with 3 gallon kegs.

3. Travel: I don't want any sediment to get stirred up, so I always carb in a 5 gallon keg and transfer 3 gallons into the smaller keg (sans sediment). You could do the same in 2.5g keg, but that's less beer to take with you. The equal split point is moot because I don't see why I'd want to transfer the remaining beer into another small keg. I'm only taking one of them with me, othewise I'd just bring the single 5 gallon keg. The remaining beer can stay in the 5g keg because it's staying home in my kegerator that is already occupying. Transfering the remaining beer to a smaller keg is an unneccesary step and a waste of CO2. In fact the best reason to have 2 smaller kegs, the is to bring two different beers, so you wouldn't want to waste on of them on the same beer.

I use the 3 gallon for soda since they fit on the hump on my keezer. For the 5 gallon I need ones that are like the original ball lock in diameter since I can fit 4 vs 3 of the pin lock diameter ones.I could care less about the rubber for the handle.

On another note if it would save some cash.... As long as you guys check that it is leak tight I can clean them. Even if they are supposedly cleaned I still tear them down.

Same here as well

5 gallon rubber top and 2.5 gallon (rubber top if you had). I have to stack the kegs where I keep my spares. Price difference is close enough that it is negligible.

2.5g is needed because a 3 gallon doesn't fit on the compressor hump in my keezer.

3 gallon and metal handle 5 gallons. I prefer the 3 gallon over the 2.5 for several reasons.

When I do anything small batch I do 3 gallon batches, not 2.5.

If I do split a 5 gallon batch it's generally a case of bottles and the rest in the keg and with the 3 gallon keg there's no concern of overfilling or not having enough room.

For what generally seems to be an extra 2" in height it's nice to have that extra half gallon of beer when traveling somewhere with beer.

FYI the soda stream mix is designed for 3 gallons of water. So mixing in a 3 gallon keg is perfect.

Very interesting, how does the keg work in correlation with the Soda Stream? I never realized people used them with the Soda Stream. We get a lot of people that use them for soda, but they are carbonating the soda with a disconnect and CO2 regulator. I would love to hear more about this.
Todd

Having 2 handles with the rubber top is nice for lowering them down in tight spaces, but I'm sure I could manage with a single strap as well. I don't stack kegs but on the "flip side" the rubber tops are nice for draining the kegs if necessary, you can just flip them upside down and walk away and the keg balances itself, can't do that with the single strap. Not sure if that matters to many or not.

The worst part about the rubber tops is when they start to break down and get black smears on whatever it touches. However, I'm guessing that's not really an issue with brand new kegs. Those things are straight from the factory and going to be inside and babied by us homebrewers their entire lives, quite a difference from the used kegs that are 30-40-50 years old and have been through whio-knows-what-and-where before they make their way into our homes.

In the end, I don't have much of a preference either way for the 5's, probably would go for the single strap to save a few bucks and see how I liked it overall before deciding to buy future ones with single metal or double rubber handles.

As far as 2.5 vs 3 gallons, I would probably opt for 3 simply because the price and size are almost the same, except you get an extra half gallon capacity. As someone earlier said you can get 2.5 into a 3, but not vice versa. And when you do a "half batch" you don't always end up with 2.5 gallons, sometimes it's a bit more and we hate to waste any available drops of beer. That extra half gallon gives you some leeway without really being much bigger in overall size.

Very interesting, how does the keg work in correlation with the Soda Stream? I never realized people used them with the Soda Stream. We get a lot of people that use them for soda, but they are carbonating the soda with a disconnect and CO2 regulator. I would love to hear more about this.
Todd

I do not use the soda stream machine. I use the bottles and mix with 3 gallon of water and carb like I do my beer. Have a separate regulator so I can serve ~13psi.

Can't comment about the different 5gal since all mine are used (ie rubber top), but I'd probably wind up going metal strap if it was cheaper. As far as 2.5gal vs 3gal, I'd echo a previous poster and say that when I was looking at smaller kegs, they were about the same, so why not go slightly bigger? I wasn't splitting 5gal batches, but rather partigyling (sp?) 3gal strong and 5gal weak batches so I could put the 3gal kegs on the keezer hump. I'm sure I could get a slightly stronger 2.5gal batch out of the same partigyle, but the 3gal/5gal split seems to work pretty well.

Can't comment about the different 5gal since all mine are used (ie rubber top), but I'd probably wind up going metal strap if it was cheaper. As far as 2.5gal vs 3gal, I'd echo a previous poster and say that when I was looking at smaller kegs, they were about the same, so why not go slightly bigger? I wasn't splitting 5gal batches, but rather partigyling (sp?) 3gal strong and 5gal weak batches so I could put the 3gal kegs on the keezer hump. I'm sure I could get a slightly stronger 2.5gal batch out of the same partigyle, but the 3gal/5gal split seems to work pretty well.

Thanks to you and everyone else that has commented. I missed the mark on the 3 gallon kegs, but I will definitely order some on my next order. The comments are really helping me. They are not what I expected and I am already modifying my order. Thanks again to everyone and I will continue to read each one of these that comes in. The more feedback I have the better my mix will be on the order.

I agree with the other posters about the 3 gallon kegs. I don't have any but would be interested in them just for the convenience factor. I like having an extra .5 gallon of wiggle room. Also thank you Todd for asking what the consumer wants.

I agree with the other posters about the 3 gallon kegs. I don't have any but would be interested in them just for the convenience factor. I like having an extra .5 gallon of wiggle room. Also thank you Todd for asking what the consumer wants.

Thanks for your opinion on this. I will be out for a couple of days for a medical procedure but I will read every comment made on this when I return. Thanks again for everyone's feedback. Todd

I was waiting for the 3 gallons to come back in stock to order, ended up having to go someplace else :-(

Debated about the rubber top but ultimately decided on purchasing the 5 gallon metal strap keg due to the ease of access to the posts, and less material that could possibly deteriorate over time. I have a small set up and will likely only use 1-2 kegs at a time so stackability is a non-issue for me.

For my 5g's, I only have rubber top, because that's all my lhbs shop had when I bought them. For the future, I'll probably stick with the same. Since I'm beginning to brew 12+g batches, I would jump on a 10g. :ban:

I have one 2.5g, and would probably look to pick up another, but 2.5 or 3 doesn't matter. I primarily use it for taking more beer than a growler or two will hold to a big party or tailgating at Ravens games. Got a big orange round Igloo cooler that it fits in nicely, surrounded by ice water. Party on! :mug:

Back