Patersbier / lightish Belgian Blonde concept.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Have some WLP 530 in the fridge that I'd totally forgotten about for a few months, so instead of building up a massive starter I thought I'd make a small Belgian blonde and re-harvest for something big later.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 16.00 gal
Boil Size: 18.32 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

20.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 80.00 %
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) 20.00 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) 15.0 IBU
3.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)

1) Any thoughts on a mash temperature/thickness/PH?
2) What about adding 5-10% dextrose/sucrose?
3) Would you add any late hops?

I just brewed up a patersbier a couple weeks ago, I used Northern Brewer's recipe:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Patersbier.pdf

I'm really looking forward to it.

I think it comes down what you want to get out of the beer. I'd say questions 1-2 are basically the same thing. If you want it to finish dry, you can definitely mash low (147-148), and even add sugar if you want. Just depends how dry you want it. I did a 90 minute mash at 147 for mine, per NB's suggestion. I can update in a few days to let you know how low it finishes. I think you'll find it'll finish below 1.010 without any sugar though. I can't give any advice on thickness or pH, I don't monitor pH and I think I just used the default mash thickness in Beersmith 2.

For question 3, do you want any hop flavor in there? I'm picturing a patersbier as a low gravity version of a BGS or a tripel, and in those styles you want some noble hop flavor. So I stuck with the NB recipe which has a little bit of saaz at 15 minutes.

I'd plan a 90 minute boil with all that pils.

Thanks for the tips. I'm really looking forward to it as well.

I'd plan a 90 minute boil with all that pils.

Yep, definitely. Forgot to change that in Beersmith but was planning on it.

Definitely let me know how low yours finishes as I was thinking 147-148F as well.

Sorry I forgot to update! This has only been in the bottle for about 10 days, but the hydro sample was tasty. Mashing nice and low, I got the 1.044 beer down to 1.007 (84% AA). It tastes great, very much like a Belgian take on a pilsner (as one would expect). Nice and crisp from the low FG, a little floral from the Saaz finishing hops, and with a spicy Belgian "bite" at the end. I aimed for 3 volumes of carbonation, can't wait to really try one in a week or two.

Oops forgot to check back in as well! Mine finished at 1.006 and overall I'm very pleased; however, I must have either over-pitched and/or pitched too cold because any Belgian ester profile is pretty much non-existent. Still, it's a fantastic beer regardless...just not that obviously Belgian. A "Belgian take on a pilsner" describes it perfectly IMO.

What temperature did you mash at? Sounds like they finished about the same. I'll crack one open later in the week.

Yeah this stuff is great. Really easy drinking, a nice sweet grainy flavor from the pils and a dry spicy Belgian finish. I could drink a dozen of these.

Back