open lid mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
is there a reason the mash process should be closed lid other than to not lose any water vapour? im doing a lager and will be topping up after the first 30 of 90 min boil. to keep the temp somewhat constant i have the lid open a lot (for when i turn on the heat and stir and hold the bag off the bottom of the kettle). it's cold outside

mashing has a lot to do with temperature, Once you have your mash at the desired temp. you may find it hard to keep it there with no lid I would think. I wrap my pot in a blanket when I am mashing, lid on of course.

im using a boiler maker to mash and it's near freezing outside. so im firing it up every 6-7 minutes to try to stay constant

I would grab a couple of blankets and wrap that baby up. I use 2 blankets down to 45* and lose 2-3 deg over 90 minutes. These are cheap moving blankets from U-Haul at that. I just take an elastic cord and wrap around the blankets once to hold them onto the kettle.

im amazed you get this. i've been using a very heavy wool blanket, folded a few times and wrapped up with strap downs and the temp flux is too much. mind you the botom is exposed still

Back