Lost power on brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I just finished up my batch of English IPA and lost power while my carboy is sitting in the fermentation chamber at around 78 degrees. I havent pitched the yeast yet. What in the hell should I do in this situation in order to ensure my brew ferments at the right temperature and at the right time?

You already have brewed and transfered the wort and cooled it below 80degrees and are ready to pitch? I don't really see the problem. you have a basement or a cool area you can put the fermentation bucket in? I've never done anything once the yeast it pitched but stick it in the basement and never had a problem, unless I'm missing something.

You already have brewed and transfered the wort and cooled it below 80degrees and are ready to pitch? I don't really see the problem. you have a basement or a cool area you can put the fermentation bucket in? I've never done anything once the yeast it pitched but stick it in the basement and never had a problem, unless I'm missing something.

78 degrees is considered pretty hot for pitching most ale yeasts, you will still make beer, but it will have off flavors. The OP could use a water bath with ice in it until power is restored to drop temps into the 60s

Was considering the tub swamp cooler thing but we got power back! Thank god I am on the local hospitals power grid. All is good but suggestions for educational purposes would be cool. Cheers!

I'm certainly missing something here...what were you doing with electricity to cool the beer down??...

The chest freezer converted into fermentation chamber via a johnsons temperature controller needs to be plugged into the outlet. As do all refrigerators. I thought everyones fermentation chambers required electricity. Aside from the swamp cooler idea.

The chest freezer converted into fermentation chamber via a johnsons temperature controller needs to be plugged into the outlet. As do all refrigerators. I thought everyones fermentation chambers required electricity. Enlighten me on how to power one with no electricity.

Wine cellar...or basement....I just do ales in summer, lagers in winter. Temps are stable, heating/cooling very gradually. 55F in winter 70F in Summer

Are you referring to bigass conical fermenters? I guess it would make sense if the ambient air would not suffice to keep the temps of something with a lot of mass like that cool enough???

My basement at the moment is also at 70-72 stable but in my opinion that is too high for fermenting anything non-belgian considering the beer will probably be about 10 degrees warmer. I am also using an english yeast (burton ale) and want to minimize the fruity character

Power is back as i said in a previous post, thank jesus! Pitched the yeast since im down to 70 now and am ready for a healthy fermentation. Thanks for your input.

78 degrees is considered pretty hot for pitching most ale yeasts, you will still make beer, but it will have off flavors. The OP could use a water bath with ice in it until power is restored to drop temps into the 60s

60s, hmm. I've personally never had it that low when i've pitched my yeast into the wort. Its always been in the 70s and i've never in all my batches ever had any off flavors or any complaints by anyone who's ever drank it. Just saying. And I've always stored it in the basement in similar temps to the OP's basement temps and again, never had 1 problem.

Back