Questions for my first Mini Mash brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Belgian Wit beer from a mini mash kit from AHB. A couple quick questions. For steeping, it says to get the temperature around 160 degrees. Do I want to keep the stove on during the time the grains are steeping to maintain a constant temperature? Should I leave the pot uncovered while steeping?
I know these may be stupid questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks!

For my partial mashes I always found that the best way is to pre-heat the oven to about 150F, heat the mash on the stove and then put the pot in the oven.

Obviously if your pot won't fit in your oven this won't work. In that case I wouldn't leave the heat on all the time as it will just continue to raise the temperature. You'll have to get it to 160 and just let the temp fall slowly with the lid on, chances are you won't lose enough heat for it to matter. Take the temperature very couple of minutes and heat it up if you need be. Just make sure you stir thoroughly and check the temp while you heat.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'd cover with the lid and try and to maintain the temperature near 160º F buy checking frequently and adjusting the knob. Since this is a mini-mash it's not that imperative if the temperature gradually drops out of this range as the main bulk of the fermentable sugar will come from the 5-8 lbs of malt extract required per the recipe.[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I think since 150 to 155 is the ideal temperature to extract sugars from most grains, they probably want you to heat it to 160 and let it sit, so the temperature drops into the range for the majority of the hour. It will probably start out at around 160 and drop down to the range they want you to mash at during the hour. This is of course just speculation, it would be helpful to know how much grain you are using, what kind of grains they are, and how long the directions say to boil it.

1 1/4 lb Belgian Pilsner
1lb White Wheat Malt
1/2 lb Flaked Wheat

The directions say to get the temp to 160 and let the grains steep at 155 for 45 minutes.

Latest posts

Back