Advice on tweaking Yoops DFH Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Yoops original recipe calls for:

13 lbs. US two row
6 oz. Crisp Maris Otter

I was thinking of using, since I have it on hand anyways and don't want to waste it:

13 lbs. US two row
1 lb. Crisp Maris Otter
.25 lb. Medium Crystal

I'm thinking adding the crystal won't do much as it's only 1/4 lb, but what do you think of upping the Maris Otter?

i dont think you would notice the maris otter, if anything it may bit a "bit nuttier" (and a slight higher OG). Its a base malt not a specialty grain. In fact, im wondering what 6 oz does in a batch with 13 lbs of 2 row?

I tweaked it myself the last time- used all maris otter instead of the 2-row and few ounces of MO. I don't know what 6 ounces did, either! That was in a recipe I found and so I kept that and changed the hopping. Yuri_rage changed somethings too, and that's in the recipe database. But I don't recall what he did.

I don't think the crystal should be in there, though. You want this to be all about the hops, with maybe a hint of malt (hence the maris otter) and no sweetness from the crystal. Still, it's your recipe and your beer- so whatever you decide is "right".

Edit: Yuri used crystal and a little carapils and left out the marris otter and he loved it. I used all marris otter the last time and loved it. I think you can't go wrong with whatever you decide!

I assume you are talking 60 min. I would have thought there would be some crystal in any 60 min clone. There is a sweet undertone to the brew from my experience.

Back