Keezer…with tower taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen (and been very impressed by) the kegeraters people build here. The dominant mode seems to be to put an extra layer between the lid and body of a chest freezer, and put forward facing taps on there.

My question is: does anyone cut holes in the top, and put taps up there, instead? Would the insulation be much harder, or is there some other reason why this isn't done? Or is it?

Sorry for the nub question, I've just been wondering.

Lando, I'm considering building a keezer as well and I've been wondering about this too...

I guess one of the main benefits of having the taps on the front, instead of a tower is that you won't have to rig up a fan of some sort to cool the air in the tower, right?

I think the height of the taps on a tower would be just right, and that the taps on the front of the keezer would be too low...is this the case?

I built mine similar to the 'Keezer' Project mainly because I was concerned with having to pull the keezer away from the wall far enough to clear the wall when I lift the lid. Spent tons of time building a box that is mounted on hinges so that I can hinge it down, then lift the lid. My keezer slides very easily on the carpet, I never hinge the box down, but I do like how it looks.

I have not added cooling into the box, I usually just pull half a pint and dump it, then it's good to go.

I built mine with a tower and have no problems. I cut a hole straight through the top and insulation for the beer lines to run. I did insulate the inside of my tower with some flexible styrofoam. I have no problems with keeping the beer cold, i say go for it!

I also think a lot people put their taps on the front of the keezer to keep costs down, especially if you're going to have more than 2 taps!

I used towers. I did not drill full holes the diameter of the tower, I merely drilled large enough holes to pull the lines through.

n1362891379_30363174_7733370.jpg

I dont have any issues with foam or warm beer, though I'd bet about 4-6 inches of line in the tower does not actually stay cold.

The only issue I might complain about is that I have to pull the keezer out a foot or so to properly open the lid when I swap out kegs. But really? It's not that big of a deal.

Here's a (maybe not-so) dumb question...

The biggest knock on using towers on a chest freezer is that the lid has to flip up for access. I'm sure we've all seen the "ricer-boi" types that put gullwing-style doors on their Honda Civics. Using this for inspiration, has anyone figured a way to make the freezer lid pivot or slide, rather than lift?

I've considered mounting the hinges on the front (and doing something to hide them from view) so the lid lifts towards you instead of towards the wall. But without side access to the keezer, you'd still have to pull it away from the wall to load or unload, and even then there might not be enough clearance. It may be way more trouble than it's worth, but you wouldn't bang the tower on the wall.

I personally prefer a tower or coffin over running through the collar. I've got tight spaces around my place, plus kids. I'm paranoid about bumping into a tap when I walk by and making a mess.

Back