Spa Panel: Too good to be true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The HD reviews on this panel are pretty poor. Lots of faulty breakers. Hmm. Not good.

Still need to buy my spa panel and was planning on getting the one from HD, because I thought everyone pretty much got theirs from there. If not where are people getting theirs.

It appears to. There is nothing saying otherwise. I'm debating on what I want to do. It's a new build so I have plenty of room in my panel for the breaker. However that is a 100 dollar bill for the GFI panel breaker Vs. the price of this spa panel + a 30 amp non GFI breaker. The Spa panel is clearly much cheaper. Just less stream lined.

If it is the same spa panel as the HD one, in working order, it should be fine to use.

I just bought one from the site. The reviews from recent on HD seem good. The reviews from 2010 and earlier are questionable but worth the chance IMO.

My understanding is that it offers gfci protection. the "non fused" means that it doesn't provide overcurrent protection. That means its fine to use it down line of a properly sized breaker for gfci protection. not okay to yank it out and use it in your house panel.

Just curious, as I am not to electrical savvy, but why not put a 50a in? If your running 30a and can only run 80% of the load you are limiting your 50a panel.

Because the panel is only supposed to run at a max of 30amps and that's at 100%. Ideally it should never hit a full 30 amps. In the event that it does, you want the breaker to trip so that it protects the equipment.

Breakers protect equipment, GFI protect lives.

FWIW a breaker is about the last thing I'd buy off eBay given that you really don't know the source.

There have been some (somewhat) recent issues with counterfeit breakers.

Example: http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1112/111208jacksonville.htm

Who knows where they're floating around now. I doubt they captured all of them that were already sold.

This ebay seller (like many) is likely just a liquidator who sells things they find at a good deal, not knowing exactly what they're selling. It's not their fault.

Saw this on ebay for a killer deal. Seems too good to be true.

Yes it does. Whenever I see something too good to be true, it usually is.

Kal

Keeping my fingers crossed on the authenticity of this panel.
But how will you know it's authentic and doesn't use counterfeit parts? The point I was trying to make above is that there's been some counterfeit breakers going around that from the outside appear like and seem to work the same way as "real" ones. They just did not undergo the rigorous CSA/UL testing and certification like real breakers. (The CSA/UL stickers or printing is fake).

Because you can't ever tell if it's authentic or not is the reason why I'd never buy safety related devices (like breakers) from unknown sources, especially if the price seems too good to be true.

This is not like buying a cheap Chinese knockoff of some product that, when it breaks, you say "oh well" and toss it. If this breaker doesn't work right it could kill you.

Of course, it could be completely legit too. I don't know. Impossible to know.

Kal

I sent the seller a message to find out the origin of where he acquired the panels and if he could guarantee that the item is not counterfeit in any way. I'll take the answer with a grain of salt. But we'll see what he comes back with.

Good idea. They're most likely (hopefully) just overstock from somewhere and he's liquidating.

Kal

It is sad...

I received the panel and the reason I believe they are so cheap are they aren't in boxes for one. But I have my suspicions they are refurb. I looked and its a GE breaker. I went online and did some research. Everything they say to look for in a counterfeit unit, wasn't there. So they look legit, just open box items.

CoalCracker,
I got mine yesterday too. I really couldn't tell what to look for in determining if it was counterfit or not. I hope to just use you as a reference. I won't be getting mine hooked up until January sometime. Hope everything runs smoothly for ya. I will report back when I have mine all hooked up too.

I got an answer back from the seller. All he said is that he get's them from a US retailer and they are LEGAL, Legit units.

I replied back and voiced my concerns and he said there would be no issues.

I got my panel today. Everything looks fine with it. It does appear to be an open box item, does have a GE gfi breaker with all the supporting instructions and stickers from GE inside the panel. After receiving the panel and checking it out, my concerns are minimal at this point.

I received the panel and the reason I believe they are so cheap are they aren't in boxes for one. But I have my suspicions they are refurb. I looked and its a GE breaker. I went online and did some research. Everything they say to look for in a counterfeit unit, wasn't there. So they look legit, just open box items.

I got my panel today. Everything looks fine with it. It does appear to be an open box item, does have a GE gfi breaker with all the supporting instructions and stickers from GE inside the panel. After receiving the panel and checking it out, my concerns are minimal at this point.
Got it today. Mine looks spanking new. Guessing they tossed original box so it would fit in Flat Rate box.
Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium box is $11.35 to anywhere. If they shipped in, or with, original box, it goes by weight and distance. Could be twice as much.

Latest posts

Back