Amarillo Hop Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yakimavalleyhops.com apparently has some odd marketing strategies...

They also searched and found me on Facebook, added me as one of their friends, then started sending me advertising messages...

well that's a shame. i found them independent of HBT, and I liked their prices. That's enough for my shady detector to go off and never send them any of my money...even if leftover hop dust does seem a decent idea. Any updates from people that brewed with them yet?

I don't think I would let something like this deter me from shopping with them. They are trying to be resourceful, even if they are reaching out in the wrong ways... I am somewhat curious about their caliente hop.

I don't think I would let something like this deter me from shopping with them. They are trying to be resourceful, even if they are reaching out in the wrong ways... I am somewhat curious about their caliente hop.

I'm all about being resourceful. But I'm more about being honest.

I'm all about being resourceful. But I'm more about being honest.

I guess that's why I"m so disappointed. At least, be up front and don't pretend to be a customer! The whole "review" process is what got me. Talk about how you ordered, the good quality of the product, and gave them a positive company review? That's dishonest, and means I will never buy from them.

If someone doesn't want to be a Vendor on our forum, that's fine. I understand. But at least don't pretend to be a customer and write a review!

It's really easy to be honest when you're posting on the internet. It's harder to be honest when you need to turn a profit to survive and you're handling other people's money.

I'm always looking for new sources for hops, availability, and good pricing, but I'm with neosapien and Yooper- they're never getting any of my money.

It's really easy to be honest when you're posting on the internet. It's harder to be honest when you need to turn a profit to survive and you're handling other people's money.

I'm always looking for new sources for hops, availability, and good pricing, but I'm with neosapien and Yooper- they're never getting any of my money.

When it's other people's money, that's the best time to do the hard thing. Reputation carries a lot of weight.

It is disappointing, but this is partially why I left the posts up rather than deleting them. I think its important that members here see them and know the context. Then people can make their own decisions on how to respond.

what's even more baffling is that, on the whole, the homebrewing community is one of the most genuine I've ever been a part of....HBT probably twice as much (even you massholes :p)

For anyone interested, they just face booked that they have 8 pounds of citra pellets on hand. Only 8 pounds...

I already have one pound from another source, so I'll let other people snag these if they want them.

From listening to the brewing network's sunday session. One of the hop farmers was on the program (from another hop company0 and he started that anything that touches the ground can not be sold according to the FDA. Hop dust from the floor sounds like it falls into this category.

Chris

lewybrewing said:
From listening to the brewing network's sunday session. One of the hop farmers was on the program (from another hop company0 and he started that anything that touches the ground can not be sold according to the FDA. Hop dust from the floor sounds like it falls into this category.

Chris

Nobody said it fell on the floor. Evidently there are trays in the processing machine which collect this product. These people aren't the only ones selling a product like this. However it is the only time I will be ordering this, or anything from them again.

Wow, and I thought the hop dust conspiracy theorist was crazy. He just had the wrong conspiracy!

I'm not trying to go against the grain here, but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. Looks like he screwed up-- like we all do-- and hopefully learned from it. Now if he kept doing that, I certainly wouldn't do business with him again. I just don't see this as the end of the world.

I am all for promoting and supporting a small business. But when an owner makes the unethical/immoral decision to become his/her own shill I lose all respect for them.

I made the mistake of ordering from these guys on good faith that they were a reputable business. I ordered the hop dust, 8 oz of saaz, 8oz of caliente, their 2lb import bundle(which at the time included 8 oz of Halleratu Hersbrucker, UK Golding, UK Fuggle, and Hallertau Mittelfrüh. It took 10 days to get to me, shipped usps priority.

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSIn...nquiry.do?origTrackNum=9405509699937325644315

When I finally received the hops I was missing 8 oz, the Hallertau Mittelfrüh, so I emailed the vendor and he replied that he was going to ship them out. That was about 18 days ago and I still have yet to receive anything from him. I have also sent them a few emails this week without response so it looks like I'm going to have to file a dispute with paypal to have the money for that missing product returned. BUYER BEWARE!!!

I made the mistake of ordering from these guys on good faith that they were a reputable business. I ordered the hop dust, 8 oz of saaz, 8oz of caliente, their 2lb import bundle(which at the time included 8 oz of Halleratu Hersbrucker, UK Golding, UK Fuggle, and Hallertau Mittelfrüh. It took 10 days to get to me, shipped usps priority.

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSIn...nquiry.do?origTrackNum=9405509699937325644315

When I finally received the hops I was missing 8 oz, the Hallertau Mittelfrüh, so I emailed the vendor and he replied that he was going to ship them out. That was about 18 days ago and I still have yet to receive anything from him. I have also sent them a few emails this week without response so it looks like I'm going to have to file a dispute with paypal to have the money for that missing product returned. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Sorry to hear it. Hope everything works out for you and that somebody learns from this whole kerfuffle. Also, to be on the lookout for new members inexplicably pushing yakima valley hops dot com.

has anyone used the dust yet? verdict?

I have also sent them a few emails this week without response
it's the middle of the holidays and this doesn't appear to be a big operation, so it's possible that you haven't received a reply because no one is working this week. but that doesn't excuse the 18 day delay, tho.

Dryhopped a beer with the dust, probabally not the best use for hop dust but it was so compact that it was more like a hop brick. It turned out very nicely, just kegged it tonight. So far I see nothing wrong with the hops, you just have to risk not getting them if you buy from these guys.

Update to my purchase from Yakima Valley Hops: I did finally receive the missing hops, took 19 days to get to me from when the vendor said he was shipping them out. All their shipment go thru the postal service so take the for what it is..... very f'in slow...

Hops I have used so far have been quality, I just wouldn't risk ordering from them during warmer months with the experience I have had this time.

Update to my purchase from Yakima Valley Hops: I did finally receive the missing hops, took 19 days to get to me from when the vendor said he was shipping them out. All their shipment go thru the postal service so take the for what it is..... very f'in slow...

Hops I have used so far have been quality, I just wouldn't risk ordering from them during warmer months with the experience I have had this time.

It looks like it went to Federal Way then back to Yakima, then back to the DC area. I am not defending the vendor, but these things happen. Maybe it was addressed incorrectly, not enough postage, human error, car accident, train derailment, etc.

I have had UPS packages delayed for "Train Derailment" before. Severe weather delays, strikes, all sorts of crap.

There was a vendor that FedEx in this area hired to make the "last mile" trips out to a small town about a two hours outside of KC. However, mysyteriously, almost 500 packages usually with electronics went missing on that route alone in the past 3-4 months.

Weird things happen.

You know what is funny, my package did the same thing. It went from Yakima, WA to Maryland and then back to Washington and then over to Illinois and up to Wisconsin.
Could be coincidence but I just think it is odd that this is not the first time it has happened with them.

Latest posts

Back