Good Beer places in DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I will be going to DC next week for business and was wondering what are some nice places out there.

Man, I loved the Brickskeller when I lived in DC. I lived just east of Dupont Circle (on Logan Circle), so the Brickskeller was damn near on my way home. Of course, The Fox and Hounds actually was on my way home, so ...

The Brickskeller is hands down my favorite place in DC. Back when the Dead would play at RFK we would always close the brickskeller after the shows.
YOU do not want to miss this place. Careful of the fire hazards around Dupont Circle!

I'll jump on the Brickskeller bandwagon. But I will put this warning/tip out there...Have 3 or 4 beers in mind when you order as they most likely will not have your first choice. That's my only complaint about the place. Huge list, but they are out of stock of 1/3 of the list.

Glibbidy said:
The Brickskeller is hands down my favorite place in DC. Back when the Dead would play at RFK we would always close the brickskeller after the shows.
YOU do not want to miss this place. Careful of the fire hazards around Dupont Circle!

Not so sure about the "fire hazards." Most of the folks around Dupont are pretty well out of the closet. Hell, why do you think they have the Drag Races down 17th street every year?

I loved the Brickskeller. But I'll second Kilted Brewer is saying that my hopes were dashed when I asked for the Samichlaus on the menu and they did not have it.

If memory serves, I instead had a Stone RIS, Damnation, Censored copper ale, Stone Ruination, and an Old Rasputin. Like I said, if memory serves. My memory took a beating that night.

To put a positive spin on this thread, the waiter at the Brickskeller gave my friend a free beer after they didn't have the 5 previous beers he ordered!

I used to do a lot of work out there and I always enjoyed going to low key places while on travel. The place that always sticks out in my mind was "Dr. Dremo's" http://drdremo.com/
It's not actually in DC if memory serves but it's not too far off of a Metro stop, Clarendon if memory serves. It's pretty low key and they often had a local house brew of some kind, I think the website has a list. Last time I was there was in 10/2006 and they had "Homer Simpson's Chocolate donut beer". Interesting, not my favorite beer but worth a try. It's not a place for everyone's style, but I always enjoyed it.

nb

I believe Dremo's is at risk of closing, if not already, in the name of urban progress or some BS. It's a younger crowd (they have beer pong tables if that means anything to you) but a decent selection. It is in VA between Clarendon and Rosslyn. Not sure which metro stop is closer (maybe Courthouse) but a cab can get you there.

19 miles outside of DC in Falls Church, VA is the newest Dog Fish Head bar and grill. The beer and food are good....the service...not so much.

Kilted Brewer said:
I believe Dremo's is at risk of closing, if not already, in the name of urban progress or some BS. It's a younger crowd (they have beer pong tables if that means anything to you) but a decent selection. It is in VA between Clarendon and Rosslyn. Not sure which metro stop is closer (maybe Courthouse) but a cab can get you there.

Yeah, last time I was there the rumor was that they were closing. Their website says that they're going to be gone soon, but hopefully relocating.
I wish I could get back out there before they close but I probably won't.

todd_k said:
19 miles outside of DC in Falls Church, VA is the newest Dog Fish Head bar and grill. The beer and food are good....the service...not so much.
There is also one in Gaithersburg. I didn't have any problems with the service there.

adx said:
There is also one in Gaithersburg. I didn't have any problems with the service there.

It doesn't help that they keep sending me $10 off coupons in the mail every week, either. I'm very lucky my son and daughter love the place, too, so it's usually on our short list of places to go for dinner.:mug:

Capital City Brewery is pretty good too...but Brickskellar has the most beer in one place that I've ever seen!

It's always a treat to go somewhere where the beer menu is 10 times as big as the food menu

Here's another Brickskellar fan! Yes, they often don't have something on their menu. I think they add things to the menu but never take anything off. If you want, you can just sit at the bar downstairs and point to the stuff in the glass doors. :)

TL

The Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington has a fairly decent beer selection too. The only problem is they limit you to 3 beers. That makes it a great spot for lunch and they have 60 kickass sandwiches to choose from too.

If you want a brewpub--Cap City is pretty good. And about 20 miles or so from DC out Rt 50/Arlington Blvd is the Sweetwater Tavern. Both good brewpubs.

It's a hole-in-the-wall sandwich joint that could be doubled as a beer/wine shop. Limited to three if you eat there but can buy whatever you want to take with you. I'm thinking they put a limit on beers consumed in house so they don't have to deal with unruly drunks.

There's a restaurant in Alexandria that's fairly new that I can't for the life of me remember the name of....Rustico...or maybe Cafe Rustico. They've got a great beer list and great food to match. Most of the staff is knowledgable enough to recommend pairings, etc.

They've hosted numerous "beer dinners" etc in the past.

There's also galaxy hut in Clarendon. It's small but has a few taps going of some beers you won't find at most places, usually all good.

Rustico in Del Ray off of Slaters lane has a great selection and good food if you're willing to go to Alexandria. They also have glassware giveaways where they have a brewer come in with special beers and give a glass with every beer you buy.

Latest posts

Back