House Hunting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getzinator

Reaction score
Hello fellow Delawareans!

My SWMBO and I are currently in the market for a home. We're getting married in November, and neither of us really want to return from our honeymoon to this old studio apartment.

We're working on a tight budget, and we don't really have too many demands. Basically our dream would be 3 bed, 2 full bath, with a basement (don't care if it's finished or not) on a decent plot of land. I know you can find that pretty much anywhere, but we would like somewhere in a decent neighborhood.

Anyone know of any nice homes for a low price in Northern DE? Mostly Bear and northward. Any suggestions appreciated!

Depending on your budget check out Middletown. Good luck finding a decent bit of land without paying out the ass anywhere north of the C&D. We actually just bought a house in middletown and moved in this past weekend.

It would also help to know what your "tight budget" is.

Congratson the new house! We are looking to keep it under $150k. Middleton is a little south of what we were looking for. But I will definitely keep it in mind.

Congratson the new house! We are looking to keep it under $150k. Middleton is a little south of what we were looking for. But I will definitely keep it in mind.

We moved from Bear and had initially thought middletown was further south than what we wanted, but it really is a quick drive. Today was my first commute into work, in Christiana, and it only added about 5-10 minutes for me.

You will be really hard pressed to find anything for that price with a decent amount of land that isn't all but falling apart for that price in New Castle county. Good luck though. :mug:

We looked at well over 100 houses over a 6 month period so I have a pretty good idea of what the market is like. :eek:

We figured that would be the case, unfortunately. I really want to be able to raise chickens, but it's not going to happen for a while it seems. C'est la vie...

My SWMBO is the one who really needs to be further north. Her work is around North Wilmington, and it's a lot of driving already. Just comes with her work. I work right up the road from Christiana Hospital, so I'm willing to move further south.

Any hard earned advice you can give a rookie?

Back