Beer Chicken!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
Decided to make a beer chicken this weekend, here are some pics...

Beer was a mix of Harp and Brooklyn Hopfen-Weisse. The outside was also basted with a basil balsamic glaze.
Picture021.jpg

GF getting everything situated...
Picture025.jpg

Ready to go in!
Picture023.jpg

Ready to carve!! Yummmmm
Picture040.jpg

That chicken looked so good I had to repost it on Twitter. The chicken isn't the only "hot" thing in those pics either. Lucky you. :rockin:

That's cool, Joe. :rockin:

I've only done it in the grill, dry rubbed with poultry seasoning, some wood chips, and plain BMC; and no veggies. I have several SS wide-based racks that hold the beer and chicken.

Is that a commercially available oven version?

That chicken looked so good I had to repost it on Twitter. The chicken isn't the only "hot" thing in those pics either. Lucky you. :rockin:
Hahaha thanks! When I told her what you said, she replied "hahaha I'm cute!"

I love the cow statue in the background that says "I'm a cow!"

I don't really know why...
You would probably laugh at the clock that moos on the hour. It's funny.

That's cool, Joe. :rockin:

I've only done it in the grill, dry rubbed with poultry seasoning, some wood chips, and plain BMC; and no veggies. I have several SS wide-based racks that hold the beer and chicken.

Is that a commercially available oven version?

It's a charmaglow kit from home depot actually :) pretty sweet deal, and it works on the grill as well. Because I have a smaller grill I opted to do it inside.

Looks great! I love to do these as well- I use 1/2 bottle of any kind of beer, worchester sauce, garlic and some seasonings in it as well. I would recommend adding a small onion stuck in the top to prevent any of the moisture from escaping, and if you like onions, the resulting one is very tasty after it comes off the grill!:mug:

Never done the beer chicken thing. Does the beer itself contribute any noticeable flavor?

I've read before that an experiment done with beer in one and water in another didn't produce a noticeable flavour difference in the chicken, dunno how true it is as I've not done it before.

I believe I could smell the beer, regardless I enjoyed it just the same :)

I've done this a handful of times and learned the technique from my parents. Rub down the chicken (inside and out) with garlic powder, Lawry's seasoned salt, pepper and I like to put some fresh rosemary on it. I've always been sure to season the beer because it doesnt give the chicken any flavor, just moisture. But then again I've always done this with half a can of BMC...maybe a flavorful homebrew is different.

In the end you get a chicken with a nice crusty skin (mmm...) and VERY moist and tender on the inside. Damn, now I'm hungry!

I've read before that an experiment done with beer in one and water in another didn't produce a noticeable flavour difference in the chicken, dunno how true it is as I've not done it before.

But then again I've always done this with half a can of BMC...maybe a flavorful homebrew is different.

This is what I was wondering too. In the Experiment they probably shoved a can of alcoholic water (BMC) in there.

It's be interesting to throw two chickens on. One with Miller lite in it and one with something big like a porter or RIS or a Wee Heavy. Something with a big malt profile. Or maybe a Huge Hop Aroma IPA in a third to see if the hop aroma flavors the chicken at all. Maybe., since it's an experiment, not to use any rub. Let the beer be the only flavoring.

On that note, this is not a realistic experiment for me at least. I'm not gonna cook 3 possibly bland chickens in the name of science :)

We did put it in the oven. we baked it at 450degrees for about an hour or so.

I agree with McKBrew, on all counts! :D

I haven't cooked a chicken like this in several months...in fact, I haven't done it since I got the rotisserie attachment for my grill. It's certainly easier though, and gives spectacular results. Crackly/crispy on the outside, and amazingly moist inside. I usually fill the can halfway with whatever I've got on tap, and add a few cloves of garlic and the leftover marinade or dry rub.

BeerCanChicken2.jpg

I did one of these this weekend with a $5 stainless WallyWorld setup. I placed it on a grilling sheet, but it probably wasn't necessary. I inserted the (now) calibrated turkey fryer thermometer in a hole in one end and watched the temps. I had both burners on low at first, but the temp was running 350, and I turned on off. That lowered it to just above 250. Didn't watch the time, but measured the internal temp with a meat probe.

Chicken was very nice. We used a garlic season rub of some sort. Might try something different next time. I added the rub under the skin. I was going to put small red potatoes in the chicken, but the wife wanted some rice stuff instead.

I would not hesitate to do this again. I could see cooking two chickens on our grill if we have friends over, and still maybe have room for grilled potatoes. I like the veggies on the side. I might try that next time too.

I read a thread about someone who tried a more expensive beer, but they said it didn't do anything for the chicken and recommended just drinking the good stuff and using cheap beer for cooking. FYI - I used Natty Ice cause it was cheap and I thought if I had to drink the extra at least it would be high alcohol. But after tasting, I know that I'll never be that thirsty! I know I can plan 5 more beer can chickens to use it up!

Yeah, I agree. She very much resembles my daughter's friend but maybe a bit older and hotter.

*Certain comments were made in order to deflect any potential insinuation regarding pedophilia or Dirty Old Man Syndrome.

This is what I was wondering too. In the Experiment they probably shoved a can of alcoholic water (BMC) in there.

It's be interesting to throw two chickens on. One with Miller lite in it and one with something big like a porter or RIS or a Wee Heavy. Something with a big malt profile. Or maybe a Huge Hop Aroma IPA in a third to see if the hop aroma flavors the chicken at all. Maybe., since it's an experiment, not to use any rub. Let the beer be the only flavoring.

On that note, this is not a realistic experiment for me at least. I'm not gonna cook 3 possibly bland chickens in the name of science :)

I think you need to try this 3 chicken setup and have all us local ohioans (or whoever wants to show up) over to help devour them! I am guessing they all would taste the same...but what doesnt after about 12 home brews??

I read a thread about someone who tried a more expensive beer, but they said it didn't do anything for the chicken and recommended just drinking the good stuff and using cheap beer for cooking. FYI - I used Natty Ice cause it was cheap and I thought if I had to drink the extra at least it would be high alcohol. But after tasting, I know that I'll never be that thirsty! I know I can plan 5 more beer can chickens to use it up!
Based off this, what is the general benefit then to beer over just water? Does water evaporate too much and leave the chicken dry? Or is it just the "cool" factor of using beer?

I think you need to try this 3 chicken setup and have all us local ohioans (or whoever wants to show up) over to help devour them! I am guessing they all would taste the same...but what doesnt after about 12 home brews??
haha Yeah, I am a complete grill noob and usually just let SWMBO take it since she is the cook. But this year it is my grill and I plan to experiment and learn he damn thing. My son needs to grow up at least thinking his old man can do all the manly things right! :D host a spring/summer brewday and I'll bring the chickens. up to 3, not feeding an army!

Based off this, what is the general benefit then to beer over just water? Does water evaporate too much and leave the chicken dry? Or is it just the "cool" factor of using beer?

haha Yeah, I am a complete grill noob and usually just let SWMBO take it since she is the cook. But this year it is my grill and I plan to experiment and learn he damn thing. My son needs to grow up at least thinking his old man can do all the manly things right! :D host a spring/summer brewday and I'll bring the chickens. up to 3, not feeding an army!

I think it isnt as much as using beer vs any other liquid as it is having a device to prop the chicken up. They sell many gadgets to help the chicken stand up, but I've never had trouble with a properly seated beer can up the butt (of the chicken :) ).

I was also not a grill guy but I always saw my dad grilling. So a few years ago I got the bug and started trying. That's the key, just try, kinda like brewing, and you'll get the hang of things.

Back